A method to "walk the seams" and check seam lengths

I wanted to share what I’m doing to check that the length of armscye and the length of the sleeve cap is compatible:

I create a empty block at letter F (it means it’s the 6th in order of creation and ensures all variable and points are available to it) and create in it a series of line referencing in the formulas the difference between the two curves (see screenshot)

I also created lines which just report the total length of those seamlines, to check against other patterns, for example.

This comes from ideas of

4 Likes

Wow, that looks nice! If/when such a feature gets coded in as a dedicated feature, I think this could be used as an example of how it should function.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

Very nicely done! @Seamlydelter & @Pneumarian

Perhaps we can include this in the new manual. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Maybe this could be implemented as a draft block sort of macro?

I’ve already thought of the idea for a “test square” macro. Where a macro tool creates a whole block based on whatever input. For ex: A test square macro would create a Block named (translated) “Test Square” and basically create a base point, and 3 point tools with a choice of input lengths of say 3", 4", and 5".

Could do the same thing for a seam check macro… where it creates a block of some yet to be determined name, where you then select your points & curves for the 1st seam like you would for say inserting nodes, and then the same for the second seam… and it automaticaly creates the formulas for the 2 lines in the block. Would be as simple as select seam check tool… click, click, click… click, click, click… Ok. Done.

1 Like

Yeah, something like that sounds good. I think that the main issue is making a seam check block that always goes last, even when additional blocks are added. (I assume that there are more difficult coding issues to automate it, but just implementing an always-last block would make manually implemented comparisons such as pictured in the OP smoother.)

1 Like

I thought about that. Maybe a special block tag, or a new attribute in the block tag that places and parses those blocks after the normal blocks, There’s also the issue that draft blocks are appended as the last element in the doc rather than inserted, so may have to modify that.

2 Likes

Yes, it could slot in after the pattern drafting.

I normally put a line from the one to the other so that I can see, at a glance, what the actual difference is. If you’re going to automate the process, perhaps you can make this distance clearly visible?

1 Like

Could it be something like the Group manager, a panel used to check seams? How difficult would be to implement?

You do all calculation in background, without creating lines, and just show the final result as a number. Total seam length, difference between seam lengths etc.

Mockup:

2 Likes

Hmmm, good idea. You’d also need place to put in a formula for length 1 and length 2. It would also need to say which one is the longest/shortest, and then the difference between the 2.

And it would need to save the formula and have a few instances of it for different areas of the pattern, like the armhole/sleeve cap, trouser/skirt side seams, trouser inseams, etc. etc.

1 Like

As compared to just doing it in a block? A lot harder.

Which is part of the reason it’s a lot harder than it appears on the surface. Would require a whole new schema and new undo commands too.

1 Like

A simple checkbox on the drawing object for whether to include the length with the label?

3 Likes

I assume you mean the Point Name text?

2 Likes

Some other questions to resolve with this idea… besides all the under the hood stuff to figure out.

1. How are the items in the “Seam Check” dock to be created? Would it be from a new tool button in the toolbox?

2. I would assume there could be an unlimted number of seams… how would this be handled in the dock?

3. Why would you not want to see the total seam length? For example when drafting a mens jacket sleeve with many systems it;s based on the arm scyth measurement - that is the length of the sleeve’s total armhole seam… If I was drafting a sleeve to be 18", I’d like to know it’s close to 18".

4. Why would just the fx button be there without being able to see & edit the formula? It would be inconsistant with other instances elsewhere of the fx button.

That being said… I do like the idea of adding a “Check” dock. It could simplify the block element tag issue… it could just be a new CheckTag element. I also would think bigger than just a Seam Checker dock… as there are other things that could be checked - such distance between 2 points. or angle measurments.

2 Likes

I would suggest that it be another folder on the right side where the groups, etc. are because it will need to appear after the drafting of the patterns in the Xml file, to access all the object lengths and angles.

Perhaps also have names, like the groups?

Good idea! perhaps a 3rd formula box for the ideal length can be added which will indicate the ideal length, in bold & red, which can be entered with a hard value or from a measurement/variable formula, that can be used, or not.

Yes, we’ll need to see & edit the formula :grin:

Hmmm… I’m a bit at sea about how this would be brought into it, because this would mean selecting 2 or more nodes, reguardless of whether they are connected by a line/curve, to get the result required. But it’s also a very good idea :grin: and can fit into the same box.

1 Like

This would be the most elegant solution After clickint on the tool the standard dialog to build a formula would show up. You would then build whatever formula you want to check: a comparison between seam length: a difference. Total lenght of a seam: a curve or an addiction of lines or curves etc.

See updated mockup, the panel would scroll down, much like the Properties panel (panel? tool? sidebar? I don’t know the specific name) when it’s not tall enough.

Yes, but other instances of this UI are used to modify points and lenghts, This, in my opinion is something used to check them, non to design them. You would design the armhole in the block, keeping the panel open to rapidly check if other seams corresponds. So modifing the formula can be invoked when necessary with the button, but in this way you save a lot of vertical space, and as you say

it’s better to save space to show as many “checked seams” as possible.

I never said that, in fact of you look at the first mockup the second item is Armhole_total_seam_lenght

Exactly, that’s why I think this should be a inputted as a formula, so you can check whatever you want, but instead of drawing it on the screen, you just show in the side panel the numeric result of the formula.

1 Like

Yes. Good idea.

Like a “target” length formula? Which in my sleeve example it could be based on the armscye measurement.

Well in the mockup example you could click the fx button to open the FX dialog… IMO it’s preferred to also have the formula box in which to edit the formula without the need to open the dialog.

That’s the point. Sometime you might want to know the distance between 2 points without having to actually add a line and then place the length variable into a formula. At any rate I’m just spit balling at the moment - thinking of other ways to use the same “Check” dock NOW without trying to cram something into the code later. I’ve already been dealing with WAY TOO much of that with the app. “If You Fail to Plan , You Are Planning to Fail ”. BF

Although a dedicated block for the use would be a lovely short-term solution, I do think that the dock is where it should eventually end up.

I think that rather than giving it space in the tool box, it should have a + button like the Group Manager. For each entry I’m envisioning a properties dialog, which has two fX boxes. If the boxes are populated with line/curve type objects, the lengths will be compared, but if the boxes are populated with points, the panel will display the distance between the two points, & the angle from point A to point B.

As you said, “spit balling”, this is what I’m envisioning based on the discussion at the moment.

1 Like

Agreed. It certainly would be a lot easier to implement a block MACRO vs another dock widget, but in the long run having the functionality in a dock would be more robust.

I like that idea.

One thing we’d have to figure out is being able to add Points with the FX wizard. Also, the problem I see is that most point tools ARE the line.

1 Like

More spit balling… another thing one might want to “check” is the perimeter of something… like say a collar… or the length of an internal path. Maybe you need to know how much trim you need.

1 Like

Exactly that.

Yes, you never know when you want to add the odd inch or 2.

Or the angle between 3 points. I can’t tell you how many times, I’ve sat with my phone against the screen, with the spirit level app, checking things :rofl:

Yip! It’s good to get a clear idea of what it can do to get the most out of it before even thinking about the programming.

1 Like