About the Newbies category

Dear @Carine, you’re very very welcome!

Hello, my name is Maria, I am an aspiring seamstress from Porto Alegre, Brasil. I am particularly interested in historical fashion and garment construction, so pattern making online will most certainly be a challenge for me, but one I couldn’t be more exited to attempt. I would love to meet new people in the sewing comunitty aswell, especially ones who live nearby, so we can learn together, and it’s always amusing to make new friends. With love, Maria (hope I’m posting this in the right place, otherwise it would be very embarrassing)

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Perla, I have just discovered seamly2d which I already like, to build a basic model but I’m already in difficulty. Is it possible to ask a question in French? and have an answer in French or in English not too complicated for google?

1 Like

Yes, you are quite welcome to ask in any language, though it’s best to do so in a language which is supported by either Google or another member of the forum. Some of our recent discussions are in several languages at once.

You’ll also find replies with parallel translations:

GT: Vous trouverez également des réponses avec des traductions parallèles.

Merci pour votre réponse. Je recherche, pour créer un patron adaptable à toutes les tailles, à insérer des formules conditionnelles. Par exemple pour calculer une mesure : (si stature comprise entre 115 et 130 alors =5cm ou si stature comprise entre 130 et 150 alors =6cm ou si stature > 160 alors 7cm). je ne sais pas quels sont les termes utilisés pour écrire cela. J’ai trouvé dans la documentation uniquement la condition SI, mais je n’ai pas trouvé comment saisir avec OU plusieurs conditions dans la même formule. Je ne sais pas si j’ai été compréhensible. Vous est-il possible de m’aider s’il vous plait.

Thank you for your reply. I am looking to create a pattern adaptable to all sizes, to insert conditional formulas. For example to calculate a measurement: (if stature between 115 and 130 then = 5cm or if stature between 130 and 150 then = 6cm or if stature> 160 then 7cm). I don’t know what the words are used to write this. I found in the documentation only the IF condition, but I did not find how to enter with OR multiple conditions in the same formula. I don’t know if I was understandable. Is it possible for you to help me please.

Good question, this thread should help:

GT: Bonne question, ce fil devrait vous aider:

& if you need more help with it, that thread remains available to ask for more input about it.

GT: & si vous avez besoin de plus d’aide, ce fil reste disponible pour demander plus d’informations à ce sujet.

:unicorn:

Merci beaucoup, j’ai trouvé ma solution dans le commentaire d’Evica, sur la page “fonctions mathématiques”. Je vous remercie vraiment beaucoup du temps que vous consacrez à répondre aux questions des newbies comme moi, et de votre réactivité. Si je peux indiquer mes propres trouvailles ou participer à une traduction française, n’hésitez pas à me demander, je vous aiderais avec plaisir.

Thank you very much, I found my solution in the comment of Evica, on the page “mathematical functions”. Thank you very much for the time you spend answering questions from newbies like me, and for your responsiveness. If I can point out my own finds or participate in a French translation, don’t hesitate to ask me, I would be happy to help you.

1 Like

Voici ma formule : (@STA<=130 ? 5:(@STA>=156 ? 7:6)) (STA étant la mesure de la stature) donc je voulais écrire si la stature est inférieure ou égale à 130 alors le résultat est 5cm ou si la stature est supérieure ou égale à 156 alors le résultat est 7cm sinon le résultat est 6cm (donc pour la stature comprise entre 131 et 155), pouvez vous me dire si elle est correctement écrite, y a t’il un espace avant et après le point d’interrogation, et aucun espace après le 5 avant :

J’ai aussi écrit une autre formule dont je ne suis pas sure qui est (@STA<130 ? line_A21_A22+1,5: line_A21_A22+2), je voulais écrire si la stature est inférieure à 130 alors le résultat est la longueur de la ligne A21A22 + 1,5 cm sinon le résultat est la longueur de la ligne A21A22 + 2 cm Est-ce que mes 2 formules vous paraissent correctes ?

Here is my formula: (@STA <= 130? 5: (@ STA> = 156? 7: 6)) (STA being the measure of stature) so I wanted to write if the stature is less than or equal to 130 then the result is 5cm or if the stature is greater than or equal to 156 then the result is 7cm otherwise the result is 6cm (so for the stature between 131 and 155), can you tell me if it is correctly written, is there a space before and after the question mark, and no space after the 5 before:

I also wrote another formula which I’m not sure (@STA <130? Line_A21_A22 + 1.5: line_A21_A22 + 2), I wanted to write if the stature is less than 130 then the result is the length of the line A21A22 + 1.5 cm otherwise the result is the length of the line A21A22 + 2 cm Do my 2 formulas seem correct to you?

Many thanks

Yes. If it’s not giving you an error, the spacing is probably right. If it is giving you an error, I’d try messing with the spaces first. I haven’t used IF enough to say.

GT: Oui. Si cela ne vous donne pas d’erreur, l’espacement est probablement correct. Si cela vous donne une erreur, j’essaierais d’abord de jouer avec les espaces. Je n’ai pas assez utilisé IF pour le dire.

Good Luck! Bonne chance!

:unicorn:

Merci beaucoup. Alors si ça marche, je vous aiderais quand vous utiliserez le IF :rofl:

1 Like

Bonjour, Comme prévu, je viens partager le fait que mes formules avec conditions fonctionnent parfaitement avec les espaces autour des points d’interrogation. J’ai réussi à imprimer les patrons et je les ai comparés avec ceux que j’avais acheté tout prêts, les proportions sont quasi identiques. Donc je vais maintenant pouvoir gagner un temps monstrueux ! Merci à tous et en particulier Pneumarian !

Hello, As expected, I come to share that my formulas with conditions work perfectly with the spaces around the question marks. I managed to print the patterns and I compared them with those I had bought ready-made, the proportions are almost identical. So I will now be able to save a monstrous amount of time! Thank you to everyone and in particular Pneumarian!

3 Likes

Hi All… not a new user - just a new screen name. Trying to purge my aol email addresses and the forums here won’t allow one to change their email so I created a new account.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Hello, I’m Kim from Canada and new to Seamly 2D. I’m trying this software to see if I can draw a simple bag pattern more precisely. I could really use a tutorial on the basic functions of the program and how to best use them. For instance, adding a point on an existing line.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I’m Annalee from Washington, DC, USA and I tried SeamlyMe and Seamly2D for the first time over new years. I’ve been sewing and drafting for many years, and trained as a theatrical costume technician before learning to code and joining tech.

I downloaded Seamly to re-make my moulage for my dress form, and I think this is the first time in my life I’ve ever gotten all the math right on my first try (I am dyslexic and very bad at arithmetic–turns out calculators don’t help if you enter the numbers in the wrong order). Being able to enter measurements in SeamlyMe and then refer to them via variable names in Seamly2D was a game-changer over trying to draft using the numbers directly, and my moulage came out almost perfect on the first try :tada:.

Since I was trying to learn my way around Seamly2D, I used the Leena’s Patternmaker Bodice Block guide from the wiki and omitted the ease to create my moulage. The only fit adjustments I ended up needing to make were to the shoulder slope and neck depth, which I took off the measurement charts in the guide instead of getting my own measurements (and I added a bust dart to the armscye because it’s a quick and easy full bust adjustment; for my block I’ll rotate the armscye dart and the top half of the princess seam, but they’re fine where they are in the moulage).

Anyway I’m really excited to have found this project and am looking forward to contributing once I learn my way around (most of my experience is in Python, but I’m trying to improve my proficiency in C++).

3 Likes

Hi Annalee! Welcome to our forum!

1 Like

Hello, i’m Karin from The Netherlands. I’m trying out this program. Thanks for making it open source!

1 Like

Hi there! My name is Ethel, I’m 32yo, from Brazil. Actually, I am a clinical psychologist, but I do reeeally love to sew in my free time <3 I’m completely lost trying to make a pattern in this software LOL Can anybody help me? I’m trying to make a base with my measurements to create new patterns, is there anything for download? Thank’s for the space and attention, wish you all the best"

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

I’m Allison and I’m a pattern designer. Normally I work in Illustrator but I really want to get into custom patterns so I been trying Seamly 2D out. Its been going well but today it has been crashing all the time. I have uninstalled etc and i’m guessing its not the London heatwave. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Seja bem vinda . Sou brasileira também Já estou fazendo alguns moldes sobe medida também .

1 Like

Hallo,

I am Daria from Poland. After 25 years spent in other proffessional areas I gave up and came back to my teenage passion that is sewing. I hope I can make a living from this. I started with Seamly2D few days ago and I am fascinated and so gratefull for this software. I have spent nights drafting my first pattern pieces and have already found some answers to my questions scrolling through this forum. Thank you all.

1 Like