Can't Find Backup Files Windows 11

Good evening,

I’ve been away for a while. It is nice to be back working with Seamly2D. I recently upgraded to a new laptop with Windows 11 and downloaded the updated version of Seamly2D. I just realized that the app is not creating the .bak file when I open an incurrence of the app. Or at least, I think it’s not. Could you please help me? Perhaps I am missing something that has changed.

Thank you,

Sandra

1 Like

The app is going to make a backup in the same file path as the opened pattern file. The app will make a bakup whenever you open an older version of a pattern with a newer pattern version of the app. The current pattern ver is 0.6.8… so if you open a 0.6.3 ver you will get a backup like filename_v063.val. Also if when you make changes to a pattern an filename.val.autosave will be created until you save the changes.

That being said… if you just did a new install, you may want to reset your file paths from the default paths - whch you can find here in the Application preferences:

paths

2 Likes

Thanks Douglas. I checked all of these locations and they do not contain any files. All the folders contain nothing.

Sandra

1 Like

If it’s a new clean install there shouldn’t be anything in the default paths… that’s why I suggested to set them to where you may have your patterns / neasurements stored - for ex: an external hardrive.

If you load a pattern the app WILL create an autosave file as soon as you make any edits in the folder you opened the pattern from. Same goes for backup files… it all depends on where you opened the pattern from.

1 Like

Douglas, I am so embarrassed that I can’t figure this out. I’m sorry to bother you.

I definitely see the “.val.lock” happening, but not the .bak file. I changed the location of “layouts” and “patterns” to my own directory in the application preferences. (I don’t know which one creates the .bak file). When I open my pattern file and make a change, I expect that the .bak file will be in the new location. Nothing is there. I double checked the other default directories and no .bak files are there either. I know that before, the program was creating the .bak where I opened the .val file, so I understand what you are saying.

I checked my old laptop to see what was happening before and it seems no .bak files have been created for a number of months when they should have been. I must have done something else.

I am at a loss now what to do…can you think of anything else that I may have missed?

1 Like

Hi, @SandraB

Perhaps I can help…

The backups don’t make a .bak file anymore. If you view the file explorer, you will be able to identify the latest copy by the date & time that it was created:

1 Like

PS. the safest backup is to create your own by Save as and give a version number. This way, you have an exact copy to go back to at different stages of creating your patterns.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying that. I forgot someone changed the way the backups are named and removed the .bak. :slight_smile:

Which BTW, the backup naming scheme is still messed up, just in different ways now, but my input at the time was ignored. I figured it was all going to change anyway when I get back to the improvements I made for the autosave and backups that were lost with my hardrive crash.

2 Likes

Thanks Guys, I will check into another solution.

Sandra

2 Likes