Creating a basic front and back bodice

Hi, thank you for letting me join the forum. I have been sewing since I was in high school (quite a few years ago, lol) but have been trying to learn to draft my own patterns within the last few years. I came across Seamly2d and thought it would help me with getting a better fit except I can’t find many videos on how and what measurements to use especially for the back bodice for a simple t-shirt type top. I was able to do the front following a video but she did not show how to do the back plus it was for a young child. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I’m a visual learner and it really helps if I can see things step by step. Can someone help me get started with the basics please.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hallo @Diane1 willkommen im Forum. Um eigene Schnitte zu erstellen ist es sinnvoll mit vorhandenen Büchern die Grundlagen eines Schnittes Schritt für Schritt nachzuarbeiten. Es gibt eine große Anzahl von Büchern zu finden. Ich arbeite mit Guido Hofenbitzer vom Europa Verlag. In diesem Buch enthalten sind auch Maßtabellen, mit denen man gut arbeiten kann. Das Buch gibt es auf Deutsch und Englisch. Um mit Schnitten zu arbeiten ist es sinnvoll ein Gerüst zu erstellen und mit Formeln zu arbeiten @Grace vielleicht sollten wir mal ein Konzept ausarbeiten wie man an einen Schnitt herangeht. Wäre das per Zoom möglich, dass jeder selbst am PC die Schritte nacharbeiten kann? Vielleicht können wir am Freitag darüber sprechen.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the Seamly forum, @Diane1

If you start with a basic bodice and sleeve, get that to fit you, then you use that pattern to draft all of the other types of blouses, including the ‘simple T-shirt’. Each pattern making system uses different measurements and most of the measurement areas are listed in the Known measurements in SeamlyMe, other areas can be added as Unknown.

At the top of this page, there’s a link to the Manual which has a tutorial for a men’s shirt pattern on it, and there’s a link to the Wiki. Lower down on the Wiki’s main page, there is a video section that links to Youtube channels in various languages. The videos that I did are a few years old now and have no sound, but the instructions are in the link below the videos and cover the bodice and sleeve using the Burgo system.

Other than that, we have started having Beginners Q&A meetings on Zoom Fridays, so if you would like to attend, please send me a personal message so that I can add you to the group where the link will be posted.

I hope this helps you.

1 Like

Haha, @Scholli , great minds think alike. I was thinking the same thing, take a pattern system & work through it on the zoom. The only problem is that we’ll need to have everyone with the same book, in their language of choice. I’ll send you a PM.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I am going to check out the videos on the Wiki page also, speaking of books, which one is the easiest and best one to use for drafting?

1 Like

I started with Winifred Aldrich’s Metric pattern making for Women. It covers just about everything.

Most are pretty much the same. They give you a list of measurements to take & they give you sample measurements that they draft in & then they give you line-by-line instructions.

Why don’t you attend our Beginners Zoom meeting on Friday evening (morning for other areas - I’m in South Africa), and see if we can’t help you there?