Creating a union piece, then deleting it, corrupts the file

Seamly 2023.7.3.209 MacOS

I created a couple of union pieces, keeping original pieces intact and then deleted them. I saved the file after deletion but the file doesn’t open anymore and gives this message:

I figured I’d try to make a copy and open the file with a text editor and deleted everything with a “union” in it. A couple more iterations of errors were resolved going to the line number indicated by the error and keeping to delete small portions.

The copy opens now, but it looks deleting a Union piece leaves everything in the xml.

1 Like

Yes, the union tool isn’t advised at this point in time. If you do a search on the forum for the Union tool, you’ll see that I always do my unions is draft mode because of all the errors it causes. It is in the list of issues in Github.

1 Like

Yes like @Grace said it’s not adviable to use the Union tool at time. It has a bunch of issues that I was actually working on fixing before getting sidetracked with a host of other issues.

Most anythng you can do with the Union tool you can pretty ,much do in the draft mode.

1 Like

thanks, do you mean by mirroring, rotating etc? I’ll try that

1 Like

Yes. Mirroring is actually a feature that is missing from the Union tool to begin with so it renders a common function of uniting two pieces moot. That is for ex if you want to join two halves of a bodice together back the front seam to make it a 1 piece back. The Union tool can’t mirror, so you have to do it in draft mode anyways.

That said there’s several underlying issues with the Union tool that deal not creating internal paths correctly, and then referrencing and dereferrencing objects from deleted source pieces. Thus the reason it crashes, as it leaves referrences to objects that are no longer there. I was already in the middle of it, and I just need to decide if I’m going to fix it, or just rewrite the tool - which then presents other issues converting from existing patterns that may be using 1 of the 2 versions of the Union tool.

2 Likes

yes, something similar, I was trying to unite half front and hald back at the shoulder seam to check the armhole shape. I’ll try working in the Draft.

1 Like

Oh Yay! But if the fix turns out not to be possible within the next couple months, I think that the Union tool causes enough grief for lack of proper function that it would be better to deactivate using the tool until such time as it is properly operational. I’d rather be answering “Why’s that super useful looking tool inaccessible?” than, “Help! my pattern is mysteriously borked!”

:unicorn:

1 Like

I can fix it within the next couple months… a good portion already is. It’s just that the tool was implemented in a really inefficent way. Instead of just taking the 2 pieces and making a 3rd piece that exists on it’s own, the Union tool creates the Union everytime the pattern is parsed. It makes another whole set of intermediate modeling < nodes > that are used to create the Union. It also fails to make an instance of any internal paths… so the Ipaths get all screwed up if you “keep” the orginal pieces. It only shifts internal paths from the 1st piece to the union piece, and none from the second piece. So if you keep the original pieces, internal paths disappear from the 1st piece. And it get’s even weirder because it you delete an internal path in the Union piece, it deletes the Item in the list in the Pattern Piece Dialog, but doesn’t delete the ipath, as it still belongs to the 1st peiece. Which then leads to the referrencing issues. Plus there’s that whole “inUse” tag that’s not even used. It’s really a mess when it didn’t have to be. Thing is if I redo it, I’d be half the way there to have a Copy Piece tool so there’s that, Again the issue is what to do about resolving converting from the existing Union to a new tool. It’s not like I can just loose the old code, as that’s pretty much what would have to be in the conversion routine… other than the fact it only has to run once when converting, and not everytime the pattern is parsed.

2 Likes