Creation of a 'New' Multi-size-table

Hello everyone in ‘Seamly-Land’,

a small query in the round, for which I found no explicit answer in’Wiki’ … I wished to create a new multi-size measurements table and this dialog:

already poses questions that I cannot respond to … :roll_eyes:

What is meant by, and the functionality of: Base Size and Base Height … I assume this has to do with the size range that is to be the baseline (initial measurements) of my table - but as a noviciate, I do not know definitively!

In addition, would anyone be interested to share any multi-size table(s) (PM or thread) in this regard? Alternatively, be able to direct me to informational sources - that are not necessarily ‘Pay-to-Play’ - in order for me to get some meaningful baseline data?

2 Likes

Ok, hi there.

If you have a standard table of measurements, they normally start with a size (often 32 or 34) - use this size as your base size.

Completely ignore the height option it’s really of no use unless you’re using the Gost measurements, however, normally the table states which height the measurements are based on, so you can put this height in there. Normally around 170cm for men.

3 Likes

This is a multisize for Aldrich’s men’s 5th edition:

Aldrich Men.smms (1.4 KB)

I’ve made it so that 88cm bust = size 32. Chest increments go up & down in 4cm increments, so a size 34 will be a 92cm chest measurement.

I hope it helps you.

4 Likes

In the normal process of pattern production a pattern will be drafted or draped, and then “graded” rather than drafting / draping each size to fill in the range of the patten sizes. The initial pattern is the base size. For example I would generally make a pattern for a mens jacket in size 40R… make a sample adjusting the pattern as needed. Once the pattern is OK, I could then grade down to a 34, 36 & 38, and grade up to a 42, 44, 46, and 48. If needed the length could aslo be graded to account for Short, Log and XLong. You generally want the base size / height somewhere in the middle as you introduce less error grading from a 40R to a 48XL than you would a 34S to 48XL.

The multisize in Seamly is more or less a grading process. With a caveat as currently implemented… it’s metric only, and base height is more related to the Russian Mens GOST table than it would be to say something like mens Short, Regular, Long, Extra Long. The orginal dev was Ukranian and thus the reason for the hard coded sizes and heights in metric.

BTW… you may find this interesting, where I took an existing pattern of a mens jacket, drafted the grade points into Seamly, and then using a standard set of grade rules incorporated into the formulas, am able to apply a set of measurements to draft a made to measure pattern. The grade rules being how much a grade point moves in/out and up/dn for each increment in size. The base size was a 38R.

3 Likes

Hello @Douglas ,

Thanks for the tips and files. I assume that Seamly2D/SeamlyMe can process these Valentina (.vit/.val) files. If not, I do have Valentina installed - I’m a ‘Belt & Braces Man’ :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hi @Grace,

thanks for the advice/infos and file … mere ‘Grist to the Mill’ and Homework I assume. :wink:

Great stuff :+1:

1 Like

@DavidDeb, das sind meine Maße die ich für Männer habe.

Hemdengrundschnitt.vst (1,8 KB)

3 Likes