Custom seam allowance

Hi, Maybe the bug is mine but I tried to put some custom seam allowance as told in a post i can’t find anymore. My aim :

For this, I use the internal path tool, select the line where i want the cut line and “ok” it as “custom seam allowance”. Then i go to the pieces, and to propriety->seam allowance and in the custom part I select the start point and end point, select “main path” and apply.

Sometimes it works and some other it doesn´t. When it doesn´t work, nothing happen and the seam allowance is the default one. Am I missing something or is there a bug?

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @eve welcome to the Seamly forum!

Maybe I’m just not thinking clearly today, but I’m not understanding the question. Maybe if you included a picture of what it looks like when it doesn’t work? A copy of the pertinent pattern (with the measurement file) might be even more helpful.

:unicorn:

1 Like

I agree with @Pneumarian that we’ll need your files and another pic to really see what’s happening, however, I learnt (way back when the seam allowances wasn’t working very well) to create the hems in the draft by placing nodes above the fold line nodes, at the depth of hem, and to mirror them by line, and then to repeat the process of the seam allowance on the hem stitch line.

You won’t need a seam allowance on the bottom, because you have already added it manually. You pattern will look something like this:

And this is the draft:

1 Like

I tested this way of custom seam allowance right away and see the same phenomenon: sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

1 Like

Can you explain/show what you mean by doesn’t work?

:unicorn:

1 Like

Hi, many thanks for the answers. Here is a picture where it doesn’t work on the left and it works on the right:

Modelo1 2xs-sxl.val (73.7 KB) Patron base corps2xs-3xl.vst (2.1 KB)

Here is the file too. Let me know if you need anything else

1 Like

thanks Grace, I already read you in another thread with this method. But i would prefer to make it with the seam allowance because I think it is more understandable for my clients. If we don’t find a solution i’ll do it this way.

1 Like

Hmmm… I see what you mean. The reason that it’s working on the left is because it’s using the line preceding the node to ceate the symmetary, which is the line that you want it to use on the right, too, but nothing changes.

@Douglas will need to have a look.

1 Like

“doesn’t work” means in this case: no matter what I enter for a value, the seam allowance doesn’t seem to react at all.

Yes, I’ll take a look.

2 Likes

OK, I just found out something : It “works” according to the order of the nodes:

image dosen’t work

image works!!

B14 and B3 in the path list have to be concomitants. Can’t be one on the beginning and the other at the end…

3 Likes

Yup… I was just going to upload the fix. Glad you figured it out. :slight_smile:

Not sure exactly what causes this anomaly, but sometimes it matters what point node the main path starts on.

BTW… a little suggestion. Get in the habit of naming your internal paths. It’s less confusing than seeing “Unnamed path”. I should note that I’m working on fixing / improving the Internal Paths, and added sequential default naming to the IP’s. So at least it will name the paths Internal Path 1, Internal Path 2, etc…

unamed

2 Likes

@eve Thank you, this tip helped me a lot!

3 Likes