Default Height & Size When Opening Multi-Size File

Hi! Whenever I have a multi-size file, upon launching the program, it displays Height and size that I’ve set as the base in SeamlyME, but in actual fact the drawing is the largest size 152/ 40.

If I was unaware of this, I would be making incorrect changes to the drawing, thinking it was a different size. To get around this, I change the height and size at the bottom right of the screen first, and then proceed to make my changes.

When I open the file, the Draft and Piece should be shown in the same size that is shown at the bottom right of the screen. See the attached example. The height/ size on the pattern piece is 152/40 (hard to see it but it’s in the label in the centre), but the screen says 134/34.

Is it possible to change this?

Thank you

Sandra

2 Likes

Hmmm… good question. To be honest I’ve haven’t really played with the multisize, so I’m not sure how the height & size are used with the placeholders in the labels, I’m sure @Grace will have an answer.

If this is something that doesn’t automatically change, maybe it’s something I need to look into fixing.

1 Like

Hi, @SandraB

Yes, I’ve also noticed this, however I’m in the habit of actually setting the height/size of the pattern constantly while I’m drafting, to check that everything transitions smoothly and before printing a pattern, I always make sure that I’m printing the required size and normally export a range of sizes, so I need to change this a few times.

I’m wondering if it’s a case where the label is not getting updated when the height and / or size is changed?

At any rate… I need to look at this when I’m awake… but I was looking at a pattern that is using a vst with the base size of 38, and it always opens at size 50 when I restart Seamly2d? Where is the size 50 coming from? Arggg.

2 Likes

Yes, but the pattern is a size 38, so the 50 actually means nothing, it’s just what it shows when it opens. Probably been hard-coded to show 50 on opening. I know you’ll find it :grin:

1 Like

It’s suppose to open the base size… but converting the units, and somehow it’s converting 38 to 50. Which given that you can only use cm with the multisize I’m surprised it’s trying to convert. In other words it’s converting cm to cm.

2 Likes

Ah! That makes sense to me. Now I know where the conversions were happening. I must really get my hands on the program from early 2017, because I’m sure that we could load a measurement file in either metric or imperial into a pattern which is set to work in one or the other, and it would automatically adjust the measurements accordingly.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Well it does for individual (vit) files. The vst files are hardcoded to use cm… except with setting the initial item in the size dropdown in the status bar… in which case it attempts to convert. This is called when measurements are loaded:

if (measurements->Type() == MeasurementsType::Multisize)
{
    VContainer::SetSize(UnitConvertor(measurements->BaseSize(), measurements->MUnit(),
                                      *measurements->GetData()->GetPatternUnit()));
    VContainer::SetHeight(UnitConvertor(measurements->BaseHeight(), measurements->MUnit(),
                                        *measurements->GetData()->GetPatternUnit())); 

If it’s a vst… it sets the container “size” (which is later used for the dropdown) by converting the baseSize from measurement units (cm) to the pattern units (cm).

I should note before you get to the conversion it has to get past this:

if (qApp->patternUnit() == Unit::Inch && measurements->Type() == MeasurementsType::Multisize)
{
    qWarning()<<tr("Gradation doesn't support inches");
    return false;
}

If the pattern units are inches, you’ll never get to the other if statement unless you’re in cm… at which point it’s a moot point.

BUT… if you could convert units it doesn’t even make sense… what (inch) size is going to convert to a 38 in metric? To make any sense you have to have a pair of vectors, and convert from one predefined size to another. NOT converting to an actual dimensional value. It’s a size 38, not 38cm.

In other words… to fix this the container size just needs to be set to the basesize… no conversion.

2 Likes

:rofl: Ok, sorry, so just another Ooops! in the system. Crazy!