Drafting drapes with dimensions using Seamly2d

Hi all! I’m brand new here and not an experienced seamstress or patternmaker but I have a new job organizing work at a custom home decor company. Part of the job will involve drawing up simple patterns for drapes (and pillows, bed skirts, etc). I’m given basic info like the finished drapes’ width and length, and the pleat style and spacing between pleats but I will need to calculate the number of pleats and spaces and the number of fabric cuts required. I’m a visual thinker and I’m hoping Seamly 2d could help me see the work and calculate measurements for pleating, spacing, hemming etc. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks! Leslie

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the Seamly2D forum, @shortylavender

I share the visual thinker with you, so I understand :grin:

Here, I posted a cupcake box pattern that I created. Mostly, drapes are very simple squares with lots of internal paths indicating the pleats, hems, etc. and you will be able to work out and indicate how many are necessary and work out the distances between them. If you actually create the pattern piece for the drape, you will be able to export it from Seamly and import it into InkScape, CorelDraw, Illustrator (in real size) and add dimensions and pattern makings to the diagram to include in the make-up instructions.

It’s difficult to give any real advice, but if you have any questions, we’re a friendly bunch who are really happy to assist, so please don’t hesitate to ask.

1 Like

Wow! Thank you for such a quick reply @Grace. I will check out your box pattern! I appreciate your help so much!

2 Likes