Error message, I can no longer open some files

Hi everyone, I can’t find some

files created about a month ago. An error message appears which I attach:Screenshot 2024-05-19 111006 Screenshot 2024-05-19 111006 Initially I thought it was because I’m switching from a Mac to Windows computer but when I try on the Mac too the error is the same. But I also ask you: is it possible to open files created on Windows on a Mac computer? Thank you

2 Likes

Replying from the end, yes, it is possible. The content inside the pattern file is the same no matter what operating system you use.

Are you also switching from Valentina to Seamly?

I switched from Valentina to Seamly a while ago… the files that don’t open were created with Seamly but on Mac.

1 Like

Can you send one to me with it’s measurement file, please? Then I’ll be able to check why it’s giving that error.

If you wish, you can DM them to me.

You are trying to open a pattern that is newer than the version of the application you’re using. You need to update the app to the current release which writes the 0.6.9 pattern version.

OR… you might find the file as a backup file saved as the previous version before the file was converted to the new version.

Like: I can tell this file was orginally saved as ver063 and I’ve opened it 16 times with a newer version of the app.

Basic Blouse with New Resizable Sleeve - Bev - B_v063_(15).val

It’s a safety feature in case a user has to revert back to a previous ver of the app. It’s also a good reason to keep the backups for awhile until you know there’s no issue with a newer app release.

OR

If you know you have not used the features contained in the new version, you can simply edit the ver number in the xml file to the previous ver.

<pattern>
    <!--Pattern created with Seamly2D v0.6.0.1 (https://seamly.net).-->
    <version>0.6.3</version>
3 Likes

It’s version error.

Oddly with editing so much of the translation files I can kinda understand the Spanish, French & German error messages. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, I tried but I don’t know how to achieve this setting from mac. Do I edit it by opening the file with Seamly?

1 Like

You can open the XML file with any text editor. I normally use Notepad++, which I’m sure is available for Mac, but any notepad will do the same job.

I think it was “textedit” that was the osX bundled plain text editor. I did a bit of personal HTML coding using it.

:unicorn:

1 Like

You can edit a pattern xml file with any text editor. I would first check though if there are any backup files before trying to change the pattern ver. Or better yet… just update the app.

2 Likes