Extra labels / text?

I have been reading the documentation and other forum questions, and I think I’m using the piece and pattern label templates correctly, but I just wanted to double check that I haven’t missed something -

Is there really no way to add a third (or 4th, 5th etc) label / text box to a piece?

I have a couple use cases for this: First, I would like to have a label near the edge that specifies which edge needs to be placed on the fold (without losing my pattern and piece labels in the center of the piece). Second, I would like to make a pattern key/legend (to specify things like “this type of dash down the center of a piece is a mark for decorative stitching, that type of dash is a fold line” etc) and if I try to use a piece label for this, it is close to impossible to get the text to align nicely with my lines because of how imprecise/buggy the resizing on those labels is. Third, I have spot where there’s a couple notches/alignment marks close to each other, and I would like to label the marks (I know I can change the shape/make some of them double lines, but I would like to have a label right there to for extra clarity).

How do other people do this? Is there a feature I’m missing or do people just export to another program and do it there?

2 Likes

Hello & welcome to the forum, @katederosier

We currently only have the 2 labels. The one is for the name of the pattern & the size, etc. - things that are general to the whole pattern - and the other is related to the pattern piece, like the Bodice Front, Back, Sleeve, Facing, etc. where you can specify that it gets placed on the fold.

I normally remove the seam allowance for the fold line & place the grainline close to it.

If I am sending the pattern to someone else to make up, I normally export it as an SVG, import it into Inkscape or Illustrator and add the markings & labels as I want them.

2 Likes

Thanks, Grace! I’m glad to know I didn’t miss something.

2 Likes

Extra labels are on the programming agenda, but some other things need to be sorted before they can be added.

2 Likes