How to turn pattern into PDF to share

I would like to share the patterns i made digitally and possibly sell them. What would be the best way to go about this?

3 Likes

It depends on exactly what youā€™re wanting. The most universal option would be to export the pattern from the Piece mode as an SVG & fine-tune it in a drawing application such as Inkscape or Illustrator before exporting it as a PDF. If you are wanting to include multiple pattern sizes in one PDF this is currently the only way to go about it.

On the other hand, if you just want a single size to print on A4 paper, you can use the Layout mode to get a layout at a suitable size, & then print a tiled PDF in A4 size from the File menu.

I hope this answers your question, but if not, just say the word. Someone will be around with answers.

:unicorn:

3 Likes

For evenly distributed sizes, I export the smallest size and the largest size in svg format. I open my illustrator and copy the 2 sizes and center the pieces. I then blend the 2 pieces and do steps on how many sizes I want. Expand, then copy and paste to all layers (different sizes) then individually delete all the size I donā€™t want in that layer.

3 Likes

You can share them on my-pattern.cloud, with or without sharing the original .val file. If you donā€™t want the .val file to be downloaded, but want people to be able to generate SVGs from your pattern using their measurements, then select the ā€˜cloudā€™ licence when sharing it.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve just realised that the Seamly2D file format has moved on a bit since I last looked. my-pattern.cloud is currently supporting 0.6.1 and it looks like weā€™re now on 0.6.8. So Iā€™ll prioritise on supporting the latest version.

3 Likes

And once I resolve some issues on 3 branches Iā€™m working on, it will be 0.7.1. as each one updates the schema.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Presumably not all versions make it into the wild?

2 Likes

Itā€™s 3 different features Iā€™m working onā€¦ each with their own issues Iā€™m running into with the existing code. One is the ā€œbackground imageā€ feature (which got thrown on the back burner), the ā€œbuilt inā€ seam allowance, and the current is the Internal Paths, which besides an original minor bug, has major issues in the Union tool Iā€™m trying to fix. Each one of these updates the schema. I would expect all 3 to make it into the app in the near future.

3 Likes

So would I upload a file to Etsy? I tried to open the .Val in Illustrator and it came out as words instead of a pattern.

2 Likes

first export it as an SVG. I Piece mode export is the second button in the Piece toolbox.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

@sewExotic

export

Select formatā€¦ like SVG or DXF

export2

If making a nested setā€¦ you may also wan to turn off the grainline and labels for all but 1 size.

export3

2 Likes