Image import and tracing functionality in Seamly2D?

Hello everyone, I would like to enquire as to the possibility of using the software to trace (“vectorise”, is that even a word?) existing images (PDF, JPG, PNG etc). I read recently that this function was to be released, but I’m unable to find that thread again. Can anyone shed light on this ?

Brgds, David D.

3 Likes

Hi DavidDeb, you can’t vectorise an image into lines in Seamly2D. But you can add an image as a background and trance it manually. Why is that so. Because in Seamly2D you will use measurements and formulas to create your pattern. It’s not only drawing lines, but create dependencies between point and curves. I hope this answer help you a bit.

4 Likes

As @JCDesign pointed out you can manually trace over a background image, but Seamly can’t automatically trace a vector image. It’s because of the parametric nature of using formulas to determine HOW to get to a given point VS a vector format that simply says WHERE a point is. It’s also why Seamly can’t import other formats… they lack the formula data.

For EX: In a vector app you would simply say draw a point A1 at (10,0).

In Seamly… assuming the basepoint A is at (0,0) you could use the Point - Length and Angle and draw a point A1 from A with a length of 10 and angle of 0 to get to (10,0).

But lets say instead of using a hard length value of 10, we use a measurement / variable called @length and set the varible @length = 10… So now in the tool we draw Point A1 with a length of @length and angle of 0… and we get to (10,0). Unlike the vector application though where the point will always be at (10,0)… we can use a measurement file and substitute a value of 15 for @length. By switching measurement files, without changing the pattern at all… point A1 moves to (15,0). And because a Seamly pattern draws each tool based on other dependencies, changing variables or a measurement file will automatically resize a whole pattern without changing the pattern itself.

4 Likes

Hello Douglas,

thanks for your reply. I had however, gathered that I must ‘trace’ over the graphic image, i.e create the necessary ‘points’ and join the dots to make the vector ‘copy’. Hence the title regarding ‘tracing’. My issue had been where to find the ‘Import’ menu, which I have now found.

Thanks for the description of the ‘nuts & bolts’ of the tracing requirements.

Brgds, David D.

3 Likes

Hi @Douglas & @JCDesign ,

I decided to carry on in the tutorial and several lines further, I found:this:

Point - Intersect XY

• Point: A18, A22 ⇒ A22

Just as an ‘Aside’, I would like to make the observation tthat; it would be of enormous benefit to, @ least, N00bs such as myself, have the reasons for the placement of the ‘Points’ in the pattern. With that, I mean why a particular Point is to be set and what the reasoning is for using a particular dimension - this is especially of use for calculated dimensions, such as Crotch extensions Front & Back.

I appreciate that this may exceed the intended WiKi limits for the tutorial, but something of this nature, including links to information explaining these design and drafting techniques and practices.

This may also be something that @Grace might also be of help here?

Brgds, David D.

PS: I will be continuing with the tutorial and, should I trip over other anomalies, I will report back ‘here’.

3 Likes

:rofl: I don’t have much, if any, experience in making patterns for men. Only made some shorts for my husband & a casual shirt from the Aldrich book for men, so the other 2 are light-years ahead of me in this regard.

With that said, there are very few instruction books that say why you need a point there or what are the actual reasons behind the instructions. It’s a case of “monkey see, monkey do” until you can figure it out for yourself. This is why I have been studying up various pattern making systems, trying to figure these things, even if I can make a very nice pattern using the draping method.

In the meantime, if you do find any errors, you may correct them. The wiki is a community-based project to help beginners. You only need to register on it to do edits and to know that the edits a definitely needed.

1 Like

From my perspective, I would think that to be a function of the author of the drafting system used. It would be like asking the car dealer “BTW… can you teach me how to drive whiile you’re at it?”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi David. If you want to know how each tool works, I invite you to my YouTube channel “Fashion Patron” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cim7wQ89Ckk&list=PLZTH_aBtkQICdNC-Z62EyF5HRxdHCVjXi . There I describe all the tools. It is in Spanish, but I use this program for Chrome for translations in any language. to translate to english: Translator yuotube video for google crome : Speak Subtitles for Yotube https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/fjoiihoancoimepbgfcmopaciegpigpa I hope it is useful to you. Thanks

4 Likes

Hi @fashion.patron,

Thanks for your ‘Input’ … However I don’t / won’t use Chrome by reason of very poor experiences, so unfortunately I cannot use that tool. Do you have a transcript of your video? Even in Spanish, that would be easy enough to translate using Google ‘Tools’, I just don’t like Chrome. :roll_eyes:

PS: I should say Videos (Plural) when I mention transcripts thereof.

1 Like

The auto-transcript auto-translate available through the normal YouTube interface is acceptable as well. I assume the content is no different from the Chrome feature.

:unicorn:

1 Like

@Pneumarian / @fashion.patron ,

Hi,

I think I’ve go it now (at last!). This is indeed a YouTube and not a Chrome function, I fear I let my ‘Chrome prejudice’ influence my thinking. I can now view the tutorials, but have to turn the sounf ‘Off’ in order t be able to ‘See’ the material and ‘Read’ any necessary instructional information.

Thanks to you @fashion.patron for the Tutorials and also to @Pneumarian for straightening my head out. :wink:

@Pneumarian / @fashion.patron ,

Hola,

Creo que ya lo he logrado (¡por fin!). De hecho, se trata de YouTube y no de una función de Chrome. Temo haber dejado que mi “prejuicio de Chrome” influyera en mi forma de pensar. Ahora puedo ver los tutoriales, pero tengo que desactivar el sonido para poder “ver” el material y “leer” la información instructiva necesaria.

Gracias a ti, @fashion.patron, por los tutoriales y también a @Pneumarian por aclararme las ideas. (courtesy Google Translate!)

3 Likes