Import files

Hi, I would like to open some files I have which are in DXF format and also STY or Gerber format but in Seamly I can’t find the import option anywhere. Can anyone confirm that in fact there is no import option in the program? So what can I do if I want to open a pattern drafted with another software?

Thansk Lav

2 Likes

Welcome to Seamly @Lav !

Confirmation. Due to the parametric nature of Seamly2D, it would be resource intensive & ineffective to import from DXF & similar formats, (think of the disturbing results of AI image servers.)

Re-draft it. Think of it as part of practicing with a powerful new tool. Because that’s what it is. Annoying, but worth it.

:unicorn:

1 Like

While I’m not going to say impossible, it would be difficult to importort a dxf. Since dxf files are more or less just a list of points in XY space, the only thing we could do is use the Point with angle & length tool, and create points from the base point to establish each point of the path. The curves would also present an issue. Besides, from my point of view, there are many more features we need to work on than being able to import DXF files.

2 Likes

So can you import any files types at all? Is there an intro anywhere that actually tells you what this program does or doesn’t do and how to get started? eg why does the Mac download instructions tell me to drag both seamly2D and seemly me onto the desk top (why not applications or "wherever you want it?) but say absolutely nothing else?

1 Like

No.

There is some outdated info on the Wiki Seamly. We’re working on updating the manual. You may find it easier to watch one of the video to get started.

That being said… what Seamly does do is allow you to draft patterns based on any of a number of pattern systems. It does so by using formlas in conjunction with SeamlyMe measurement files. It’s the reason why you can’t import files, as they are meaningless without any formulas. A normal CAD / Vector app will draw a line from x,y to x1, y1… where with Seamly it can draw a line from Point A to A1 using a length formula of say bust_circ_f and angle 180degs - where the bust_circ_f variable is read from a measurement file. Change a measurement file… the line automatically changes. In the former the line is ALWAYS x,y to x1,y1. So in other words it allows yo uto draft one pattern and load any number of a people’s measurments to create made to fit patterns.

3 Likes