Importing OBJ

Hi All,

Before I install Seamly, is it possible to import your own OBJ body scan and extract the measurements?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome, @holliebelle

No, at this point in time, it isn’t possible to import your own bodyscans. This is a feature that is still in discussion.

1 Like

HI @Holliebelle, Go to https://3DmeasureUp.ai. You can upload your OBJ and get your measurements in Seamly format! Let us know what you think about this feature!

Best, Sue

1 Like

Thanks Gracie. Can I put in my measurements and it will create a pattern block?

1 Like

Seamly2D is a pattern making software that can be used to create all sorts of patterns, very much in the same way that one would create patterns manually. Your measurements will go into a file and normally used during the pattern making process. Once your pattern has been created, you will be able to print your pattern and make your garment. If you wish to make the same garment for someone else, then you can create a measurements file for the other person using their measurements, load them into the same pattern and print the pattern according to their measurements, print them and make the garment.

I normally have a basic master pattern with a multisize measurement chart, that I edit and add things to that I use as a basis for all of my new pattern designs so that I don’t need to keep “recreating the wheel”. If you would like a master pattern, there is one for sale on the website.

2 Likes

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the recommendation, I’m already checking this out. I’ll buy the 50 credits as it’s just for myself.

1 Like

Quick, question, Can I move my shoulder points? I think they are too far out due to my pose.

1 Like

If you’re talking about the master pattern on Seamly, it will automatically adjust the shoulder length from the neck side according to the measurements that you upload. So if you upload your measurements, then your actual measurements will be loaded into the pattern. If you want to adjust your measurements on a permanent basis, then you can adjust them in the measurement chart.

1 Like

@holliebelle - If your pose is too straight, and it doesn’t reflect your normal posture, then you might want another scan.

I would not edit the measurement file, because you would need to also change outer sleeve length, inner sleeve length, and balance measurements.

Get another scan and put your arms into a capital A shape where your arms are at 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock positions and legs are 6 o’clock, and ignore any instructions to stand up straight.

You can get a scan from 3DLook.ai. They don’t have all the measurements you’ll need, so download the 3DLook .OBJ and upload it to 3DMeasureUp.ai, then download the measurements in Seamly format.

3DLook will have the additional measurements needed for made-to-measure clothing (many more than chest, waist, hips, height) completed by end of March.

2 Likes

Hi,

Is the file that comes from 3DLOOK’s Mobile Tailor that you convert, has anyone done this conversion and what does it look like in Seamly2d?

I see that 3DLOOK’s Mobile Tailor has different plans, mostly for a fashion students or businesses and are quiet costly. If I understand how this works, what about the hobbiest, who only wants to have a single scanned 3D digital file of their own measurements not several scans etc based on their plans?

Do you know if this is possible as “a one time option”, if not do you know of a contact at 3DLOOK?

thanks Carol (new user to Seamly2D)

1 Like

At the bottome of their Case Studies page, you can sign up for a 7 day trial. I believe that will give you at least one scan for free.

Yes, it is. I haven’t actually used the facility but I’ve had a look at measurement file produced like this and it has all of the needed measurements in it to draft any garment.

1 Like

Hi @3DPatterns/Carol,

The converted 3DLook file looks like a SeamlyME XML file. This isn’t a straightforward mapping, which was surprising. Their format is a very primitive horizontally organized CSV file with multi-word column headers that contain spaces and non-ASCII characters. They embed ‘LB’ or ‘KG’ for weight and ‘CM’ or ‘IN’ within the measurement values, eg (‘157 LB’, ‘104 CM’). Their measurement file can’t be read and processed in an elegant programmatic manner, it requires multi-pass brute-force code. I can run it on a case-by-case basis if you send me your file at convert@seamly.io. 3DLook’s product for individuals that contain our additional recommended measurements was planned for early to mid April but has been delayed.

I suggest you try 3DMeasureUp.ai. They have a $50 option for 50 tokens/scans. Their free evaluation trial product won’t let you download a measurements file. You have to upload your own OBJ file. Their product provides the most accurate measurement generation from body scans on the market – their clients include Armani and Sony Pictures. If you pay the $50, you can download your measurements either in CSV or SEAMLY format. :trophy: :partying_face: :clinking_glasses::muscle::rocket::tada: :clinking_glasses: :1st_place_medal: The SeamlyMe file downloadable from 3DMeasureUP isn’t the latest version, but it can be saved to the latest .SM2D format if in SeamlyME you ‘Save As’, or in Seamly2D you open it with ‘Load Individual’ or ‘Edit Current’ then ‘Save As’. 3DMeasureUp’s additional apparel measurements may be available in May or June.

Both 3DLook.ai & 3DMeasureUp.ai are adding addtional apparel-quality measurements according to my recommendations for the minimal measurement set that produces near-bespoke results for the majority of garments, and enables the generation of additional measurements through the combination or addition of measurements. Sadly, we get no income from these arrangements. :laughing:

Note 1: Circumferences are easy to measure on a body scan, but it’s a more difficult math problem to split the circumferences into front and back arcs. Contour measurements that follow the contour between landmarks on the body are even more difficult.

Note 2: CPU processing to create body scans is expensive, and so is finding the landmarks on the body then calculating the contour lengths along the body between the landmarks, the vertical “pole” measurements, and the horizontal “pole” measurements. So expect to pay for those CPU cycles on AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, or other cloud data centers.

Did this answer your questions? I’m happy to talk to you about your needs, send me a PM.

HTH! Sue

2 Likes