Introductions Thread

Oh, Wow! @Douglas, so you got the head perfect!!! Very well done! :clap:t2: :clap:t2: :clap:t2:

1 Like

I can’t tell a lie… I only stitched the $1 back with George Washington. LOL one of my long time employees did the rest - the $5, a $10, $20, $50, and $100.

They’re for a production of “Catch Me If you Can” in Washington DC.

Here’s my favorite:

3 Likes

We finished the $1 today…

3 Likes

Wow! They’re absolutely gorgeous!

1 Like

Das sind meine Werke und @Grace sei Dank wurde viele Schnitte immer wieder gerettet:) Mein Laden mit Wohnung und Werkstatt.

4 Likes

Oh, wow! @Scholli, it’s amazingly awesome!

So nice to see your workspace and what you do. Thank you very much for sharing :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hello! I am Ariana. I am learning to design/draft my own patterns so that I can make clothes I actually want to wear (I am non-binary so I struggle that the clothing I want to wear has no guarantee of fitting the body that I am endowed with in the way that it fits the bodies it was designed for—in addition to needing more normal adjustments such as high rounded back [too much time slouching at computer :laughing: ]). I discovered Seamly down a research rabbit-hole and it seems like an awesome tool to use.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome, @ArianaZaun. It’s really nice to have you here. We’re a friendly bunch, so please don’t hesitate to ask if you need help :slight_smile:

hello there, I am Michelle from Barbados. I have been sewing as a hobby (with patterns) since I was around 12 years old. I am 37 now. Over time I have learned how to alter existing patterns or mash up 2 or 3 patterns to make new designs. However, I have never worked with pattern-making software so I am eager to learn. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the Seamly forum, @ellehcim_creations

Oh, wow! You’re on an amazing journey. I’ve been on it for over 5 years now, and I’m still loving it. We’re a friendly crowd on here and are always willing to help, so please don’t hesitate to ask if you get stuck. :slight_smile:

thanks @Grace, will do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello! I’m new here.

My name is Rebecca, I work for a company that makes stretch fabric event decor. Imagine colorful triangles hanging in the air to provide shade for festival-goers at Coachella, or sublimation-printed signage or step and repeat logo walls for photography backdrops. My job is to create the patterns for these products and program them for our big CNC cutting machine, along with instructions for the production staff. At work I use Sketchup and PatternSmith, which is the proprietary program for the CNC machine.

I do love garment drafting and sewing, even though I haven’t been working in that industry. I taught myself through books and trial and error. I’ve made a lot of jackets, dresses, and pants. I designed and marketed a baby carrier almost 20 years ago that did pretty well for a couple of years. I’ve always done that sort of work by hand with pencil and paper, or directly on fabric (I prefer yarn-dyed gingham to muslin for that), so I am very interested to see if I can translate those skills to this software.

My hope is to be able to use this to create printable patterns, both for my own personal use and potentially for sale. I’ll probably start with home goods, things like aprons, tea cozies, and quilts. I think it would be a lot of fun to work up some fabric designs to have printed, and use those for coordinated furnishings.

It’s nice to meet you all!

4 Likes

Welcome Rebecca…

Yes… that sounds like fun to design some printed fabrics to use with patterns designed in Seamly. Would love to see what you come up with. I own a costume shop and we recently did a some jackets for a production of “Catch me if you can”, where the fabric was custom printed with large sized various denominations of US bills.

1 Like

Those are amazing! So much fun!

1 Like

Thanks. Even after 40+ years of cutting costumes, this job proved to be a challenge. Especially cutting and sewing the curved center back seams. One of my long time employees did a great job putting the coats together.

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

My name is GreenCactus! I started making my own clothing at the start of the pandemic using patterns from the store and printable patterns. I’ve had a lot of practice sewing clothes together, making small adjustments to patterns and feel comfortable enough to make drippy clothing gifts for my friends and family. So now I want to get good at making patterns for different shapes and sizes.

I hope to learn a lot from you all. Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @GreenCactus, :cactus: Welcome to the wonderful world of garment construction! Seamly can be a bit confusing when you’re just starting out, so feel free to ask dumb questions, there’s a very good chance that they’re actually very good questions! & if you find a pertinent thread that’s been quiet for a while, but you have an additional comment or question on it, feel free to revive it.

Happy drafting!

:unicorn:

3 Likes

Welcome.

You’ve come to the right place. This is precisely what Seamly2D is designed to do… that is, making a pattern that you can easily (more or less) resize to fit different sets of measurements. I say more or less as with any drafted pattern there is a range of sizes that a pattern will work for given the body shape it was drafted for. For example a jacket drafted for a young mens size will not grade (scale) very well to a stout or corpulent body.

At any rate if you have a question or problem feel free to ask - someone will help. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahh I see, good to know… I’ll have to play around with different patterns to see what works and what doesn’t. I’m going to start by making a vest pattern for myself. I found some cool floral fabric that I’d like to turn into a vest and shorts.

4 Likes