Introductions Thread

Hi Lia, I’m also new here, from Germany and I also work with Mueller&Sohn. Maybe I can help you. What exactly doesn’t work?

3 Likes

Hallo zusammen,

ich bin aus Deutschland, arbeite seit 5 Jahren mit seamly und habe mit Müller und Sohn gelernt. Mittlerweile ein Sammelsurium mit eigenen Erfahrungen, Müller und Sohn und anderen Medien.

5 Likes

Hello all together!

I would like to introduce myself after I have already reported bugs :slight_smile:

I’m Alex (she/her), live in Germany and have been sewing a lot for the last 3 few years. Last year I started learning pattern making more seriously and started working with seamly. Besides “normal” clothes I also work with latex, make clothes out of latex and also work with liquid latex as a media artist.

I have been working as a user experience designer for agencies and software companies for over 8 years. In this context I got in contact with Sue to improve user guidance and visual design of Seamly and to make it maybe even better for the users. I look forward to meeting everyone here!

3 Likes

Hi @AlexR! Welcome to the forum! :wave:

2 Likes

Wow! @AlexR, and welcome. I’d love to see some photos of what you do. It sounds really interesting. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Hi all,

picking this thread up and using the opportunity to introduce myself:

I am Christoph (he/him), living in Germany and I am a software developer / IT manager and open source enthusiast, and I got into contact with Seamly2D via a friend who sews a lot.

I like working with cross-platform code, I have mac, linux and windows here and I maintain a cross-platform Jitsi Desktop app: GitHub - jitsi/jitsi-meet-electron: Jitsi Meet desktop application powered by

Here I got the opportunity to work together with Letterus (Johannes Brakensiek) · GitHub to revive the linux version of seamly2d, bring it to Flathub to ease installaton (Flathub—An app store and build service for Linux) and next on my list is improving the mac version (eg. easier installing) and improving the German translation of Seamly2D.

7 Likes

Hi @csett86! Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Hello @ welcome, @csett86. Happy to have you onboard :smiley:

Hi All

I’m new to Seamly2D, getting back to sewing after a long absence, and enjoying attempting to make my own patterns for the first time.

Thank you for all the amazing help here!

4 Likes

Hello and welcome, @cricket

It’s always so exciting when someone returns to sewing and decides to make their own patterns. There are mountains of info on here and someone is always around to give assistance, so please don’t hesitate to ask.

2 Likes

Hi All,

I’m Alex (he/him) living in the UK. New to Seamly but not to sewing. Enjoying the software so far, excited about it’s possibilities for making besoke patterns.

Started with the shirt guide and am currently testing it out making a Muller and Sohn waist coat pattern. Allready used pi and Arctan in passion! Still figuring out creating curves that will resize well…

Thank you to all the forum help out there, been a big help so far.

Alex

3 Likes

Welcome Alex. To make curves resize with measurements you need to use formulas in the control points. There’s examples already on the forums without me reiterating… just do a search for resizing curves. In particular find the topic by Keith, who laid out a method if using a bezier constant to calculate control point lengths.

2 Likes

Hello,

I picked up Valentina a couple of years ago, then got enough studio space that making patterns by hand was more straightforward. The translation problems and lack of documentation put me off. I’m starting a made-to-order menswear line and being able to size patterns on the computer at home would save me a lot of time and driving back and forth to the studio! Valentina doesn’t seem to have progressed since I last downloaded it. Perhaps the Seamly fork will be a better bet for a native English speaker, though I notice the GUI defaults to Indonesian and the Label language to German as they’re the top of their dropdown lists!

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the Seamly2D forum, @Debord, we’re happy to have you here.

I’ve been using Seamly2D since February 2017 before the fork and have done some amazing patterns with it.

You are correct, Seamly is predominantly English, however, we are in the process of upgrading the languages, so this may account for the default and order of the languages being a little out. I’m sure @Douglas will see this post and perhaps give a better explanation.

Other than that, our manuals are also being updated and if you browse the newest posts, you’ll see that there are also some amazing changes already implemented and more coming.

Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions, we are friendly and love helping our users.

I just ran the app with an empty settings file… meaning it’s going to start with the default settimgs. Both the GUI and the Label languages show American English.

What happens is the drop downs are populated with the languages the app provides translations for, and then it checks what your “locale” is and tries to set the dropdowns to the language that matches your locale. If your local is not found it defaults to like you said the 1st item in the dropdowns. Can I assume you’re in a locale that is not one that the translations do not support?

That being said… I think I can add an “else” to the code to force the en_US locale to be used. I can’t check the fix though as my locale will always be found.

2 Likes

Fixed the GUI language to default to American English if the users locale is not one of translated languages in the dropdown box. Also made American English the default if the locale->bcp47Name() is not found in the Label language dropdown box.

3 Likes

Thank you both for welcoming me!

I have seen many of your posts around the place, @Grace - your capacity for assistance must be great indeed, thank you.

@Douglas - yes, UK English is the locale (W11). The languages weren’t displaying in the ones I mentioned, but they were apparently the defaults selected so I changed them in case it was going to cause weird translation issues behind the curtain. I’m happy to provide ammunition for easy fixes!

3 Likes

That would explain it. Not sure why the orignal dev didn’t see what the results would be if a users locale didn’t match one of the ones in the drops downs. The intent was there to default to (American) English, but it only happened if a users locale was one of the 18 supported by the app. To me, what is more curious is why there is a Canadian English? Unless you go to French speaking Quebec, most Canadians speak and write the same as we do in the States… other than the odd “color vs colour” sort of spellings.

Actually, I’ll ask your opinion. Do you think it would be worth while to add the en_GB locale to the translations, and assciated flag & British English items to the prefs? No big deal to add… It would at first be the same as US english until any translations are made.

2 Likes

:+1: :100: Agreed, this would remove ambiguity for the users.

1 Like

en_GB is always appreciated.

2 Likes