Issues creating pattern piece

Last week I made several patterns. Made layouts from them. No issues. After a few days of playing (3 days) I found out I was running in debug mode and had 300 GB of debug logs on my computer. My husband moved them onto our NAS and I reloaded the app and was ok. I e mailed “helloseamly” that day so I hope someone is aware. (By ok I mean I was able to keep it open as with the 300 GB of logs I had ran out of room so my app was crashing)

Today I tried to make any pattern piece and when I click on “Piece” from the upper menu (after using piece from the left hand menu and selecting all my points) it tells me “You cannot use Piece mode yet. Please, create at least one pattern piece.” I even made a simple square and get that message. I am going in a clockwise direction. I have deleted and re-downloaded the app and still I cannot create a pattern piece.

I am running off the LinuxAppImage as I am a linux user. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Welcome! One of the devs had suggested running it from the command line with this command, but I guess it didn’t get passed on to you:

QT_LOGGING_RULES="*.debug=false" ./Seamly2D-x86_64.AppImage

As for as the Piece problem, it sounds like you tried drafting in a clockwise direction, it’s a common misconception which took me too long to get past. What you do is go to the Piece tool group, & choose the Add New Pattern Piece tool, (it’s the first in the list) or use the key command N, P. With that you trace out the outline of your piece by points & curves in a clockwise direction. If a curve continues after a point, (such as when the point is to be a notch,) be sure to click the curve again after clicking the point.

I hope that helps!

:unicorn:

1 Like

I will have to have my IT hubby help with the first response as I definitely do not want to have 300 GB of data on my computer every 3 days, lol

As you can see from the 1st screenshot, all is in red, meaning all selected for the pattern piece. I went from A to A6 to A5 to A4 to A1 to A2 to A3 - unless I am missing something that is in a clockwise direction. The cursor still had the little bodice block icon so I know it was still in that mode. I did not draft it in a clockwise direction.

In the second screenshot - you can see it is a bit more complex and in the 3rd screenshot is the final pattern piece ready for layout. (I even drew a simple square just to make sure it wasn’t the fact I was not going CW.)

2 Likes

So, if I didn’t miss something, it tells you, “You cannot use Piece mode,” but lets you go to piece mode anyway. At least that’s what the third picture would seem to indicate. Very odd. Nothing to affect that should have changed since the August 14 build of the AppImage, which I have been using without noticing an issue.

I’m curious which Linux release you are using, there is a possibility that it could shed a little light on the issues you’re having.

1 Like

Ok, it is OFFICIAL - I am a moron, lol.

I decided I would go back to the youtube tutorial and watch the process and I FORGOT to hit ENTER after I was done with my paths BEFORE I clicked on Piece mode. (insert the double face palm here)

I am so sorry, thank you SO much for your patience. It has been a long week and I am recovering from surgery so I should have just not tried anything new, lol.

I had my husband (it is nice have a linux server admin in the house) run the command line - it is still doing debug logging - I will know if it is reduced in a few days. It did it in standard output and had made a new logfile: 25M Sep 9 22:21 seamly2d-pid8562.log

The rest is info from my husband - it is all Greek to me.

This is what it spits out when first launched with the new environment variable set: set | grep QT_LOG QT_LOGGING_RULES='“*.debug=false”' ./Seamly2D-x86_64.AppImage Seamly2D: Setting QT_MAC_WANTS_LAYER=1 and QSG_RENDER_LOOP=basic Checked locale: “en_US” DEBUG:Log file /home/sunrise/.config/Seamly2DTeam/seamly2d-pid8613.log was locked. DEBUG:Clearing old logs DEBUG:Version: “2023.8.28.147” DEBUG:Build revision: Git:c758473ea402 DEBUG:“Based on Qt 5.15.2 (GCC 9.4.0, 64 bit)” DEBUG:Built on Aug 28 2023 at 01:55:31 DEBUG:Command-line arguments: (“/tmp/.mount_SeamlyXUThen/AppRun.wrapped”) DEBUG:Process ID: 8613 DEBUG:Checked locale: “en_US” DEBUG:Initialize Tool Options Property editor. DEBUG:Initialize Groups manager. DEBUG:Can’t get tag Groups. DEBUG:Updating recent file actions. DEBUG:ColorComboBox Constructor 2 used DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “black” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “blue” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “cornflowerblue” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “darkBlue” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “darkGreen” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “darkRed” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “darkviolet” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “deeppink” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “deepskyblue” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “goldenrod” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “green” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “lightsalmon” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “lime” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “mediumseagreen” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “orange” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “violet” DEBUG:createColorIcon - color = “yellow” DEBUG:ColorComboBox::colorChanged DEBUG:Value 100.000000

DEBUG:Autosaving every 1 minutes. DEBUG:Reading settings. DEBUG:Set current name to “”"

Then it repeats stuff like this on an on: “DEBUG:Can’t get tag Groups. DEBUG:Draft Block Has Groups = 0 DEBUG:Can’t get tag Groups. DEBUG:Draft Block Has Groups = 0 DEBUG:Can’t get tag Groups. DEBUG:Autosaving pattern. DEBUG:Autosaving pattern. DEBUG:Autosaving pattern. DEBUG:Autosaving pattern. DEBUG:Draft Block Has Groups = 0 DEBUG:Can’t get tag Groups. DEBUG:Draft Block Has Groups = 0 DEBUG:Can’t get tag Groups. DEBUG:Draft Block Has Groups = 0 DEBUG:Can’t get tag Groups. DEBUG:Draft Block Has Groups = 0 DEBUG:Can’t get tag Groups.”

In the 5 minutes that I ran the program tonight it logged 25MB of debug information and even though it says it is clearing old log files when launched the old log files are still there going back to the 4th and add up to 17GB.

1 Like

Not being a Linux user I’m baffled to start, but I have no idea how the App could be building in debug mode? You have to specificlly build for debug. A big clue would be in the file size of Seamly2D… in the release version it’s btween 8 and 10k depending on build ver. The debug build is around 400k as it has all the symbols and debug messages build in to executable.

@Ladybluefire

Are you by chance building the app yourself from the source? In which case you may be building a debug build, and not a release build.

1 Like

@Ladybluefire thank you for posting the output, I think there is a small issue with the quotation marks provided by @Pneumarian. Can you (or your hubby) try the following to run seamly (its straight instead of nice quotes)?

QT_LOGGING_RULES="*.debug=false" ./Seamly2D-x86_64.AppImage
2 Likes

I should’ve known to mark it as code :grimacing:

1 Like

I am (nor is hubby) building the app from the source. All I did was download the LinuxAppImage and went into properties, then permissions to turn on the ability to execute as a program. My husband only got involved once when we found out my computer had been filled with 300 GB of debug log files and then after he moved them onto our NAS he left me to my own devices (and I do not use my terminal unless he “sudos” me to, lol). (Oh we did have to install FUSE to get it to run)

I am on Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS and I am using the Seamly2D 2023.9.4.147 (just checked but last night I was on the 8.27 (or 8.29 version) and I had that in my long reply until I realized what I was doing wrong for the piece mode issue - it was a PEBCAC error.

@csett86 I will have the hubby try that when he has the time today. I know he did some magic with the info from Pneumarian and in my lack of understanding on anything Linux your info looks the same to me…the quotes are in the same place…

Thank you so much for your help. Hopefully we can get this resolved as I am enjoying this app and appreciate that it is open source!

I was wrong - I was on 8.28 last night image

I have maxed out my replies for today so this is an UPDATE

So, hubby replaced the cutesy quotes with straight quotes.

I have both 8.28 and 9.4 on my computer (both are 48.5 MB in size) and we ran them both for the same timeframe and did the same actions and 8.28 had 8.1 MB of DEBUG logs and the 9.4 version had 6.7 KB. So, the newer version is still making a few debug entries but it is significantly smaller.

3 Likes

This sounds good, so with the new version and the straight quotes you should now be good to go and your disk should no longer fill up.

At the same time, thank you for your initial report, we are also looking into the root cause for the excessive logging to solve that for everyone.

3 Likes

Glad I could help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Working on it… as usual it turns out to do it right it’s more involved than initially thought. Problem is the message logging wasn’t handled correctly to seperate info and error messages you want to log in either release or debug mode and debug messages you only want to see in debug mode. We can simply turn off the qDebug() msg’s in release mode, but then it defeats the idea of having the log file to record errors that happen. Right now everything is either a qDebug() or qCDebug(). So I need to seperate the info and errors using qWarning() or qCritical() or qInfo() from debug() messages that will be set to only appear in a debug build. Of course the reason you may want to use a qDebug() msg is to track the program flow in the console when in debug mode, but you don’t want those in the log file… which us what it is doing now.

BTW… on a deeper level, the excessive logging is a symptom of bigger issues with excessive parsing of the pattern which is generating msgs when certain routines are performed. For example… there is no reason to recreate the groups everytime a draft block changes. They only need updating when the groups change. Without these debug msgs though, I would have been unaware of the excessive parsing.

3 Likes

Ok… got the logging issue more or less fixed. Just have to make a final check for any qDebug()'s that should be a qWarning() or qCritical(). Now a log file should only show these info items and any waring or critical messages:

[2023.09.17 00:53:19:INFO:…......\Seamly2D\src\app\seamly2d\core\vapplication.cpp(582)] void VApplication::InitOptions(): default: Version: “0.6.0.1” [2023.09.17 00:53:19:INFO:…......\Seamly2D\src\app\seamly2d\core\vapplication.cpp(583)] void VApplication::InitOptions(): default: Build revision: unknown [2023.09.17 00:53:19:INFO:…......\Seamly2D\src\app\seamly2d\core\vapplication.cpp(584)] void VApplication::InitOptions(): default: “Based on Qt 5.15.2 (GCC 8.1.0, 64 bit)” [2023.09.17 00:53:19:INFO:…......\Seamly2D\src\app\seamly2d\core\vapplication.cpp(585)] void VApplication::InitOptions(): default: Built on Sep 17 2023 at 00:52:01 [2023.09.17 00:53:19:INFO:…......\Seamly2D\src\app\seamly2d\core\vapplication.cpp(586)] void VApplication::InitOptions(): default: Command-line arguments: (“D:\Github\build-fix_logging-release\src\app\seamly2d\bin\seamly2d.exe”) [2023.09.17 00:53:19:INFO:…......\Seamly2D\src\app\seamly2d\core\vapplication.cpp(587)] void VApplication::InitOptions(): default: Process ID: 22104 [2023.09.17 00:53:19:INFO:…......\Seamly2D\src\libs\vmisc\vabstractapplication.cpp(274)] void VAbstractApplication::loadTranslations(const QString&): default: Checked locale: “en_US” [2023.09.17 00:53:20:INFO:…......\Seamly2D\src\app\seamly2d\mainwindow.cpp(5933)] void MainWindow::InitAutoSave(): v.mainwindow: Autosaving every 1 minutes. [2023.09.17 00:53:24:INFO:…......\Seamly2D\src\app\seamly2d\mainwindow.cpp(6005)] bool MainWindow::LoadPattern(const QString&, const QString&): v.mainwindow: Loading new file C:/Users/rocke/Downloads/dain jacket v2.val. [2023.09.17 00:53:24:INFO:…......\Seamly2D\src\app\seamly2d\mainwindow.cpp(6062)] bool MainWindow::LoadPattern(const QString&, const QString&): v.mainwindow: Pattern file C:/Users/rocke/Downloads/dain jacket v2.val was locked.

3 Likes

@Ladybluefire

The logging issue should be fixed. If you want you can check out the pre-release. Now the only items written to a log file should be some app & pattern file information, and then any error warnings OR critical messages resulting from the app crashing.

2 Likes