Newbie Here

I am SnowdogGirl or Shelley, whichever. I sew, quilt, everything but spin and weave. I’m very interested in vintage clothing and historical patterns. I’m making my second custom dress form using bootstrap. It occurred to me that I wanted to replicate patterns I’ve seen and so downloaded this open-source software. I know absolutely nothing about how to use pattern making software or CAD. I’m plunging into the dark abyss!

3 Likes

Hello & welcome to the Seamly forum, @SnowdogGirl

Oh, wow! I think you’re on the path of an amazing journey. Seamly software isn’t difficult to learn, if you already know how to make patterns by hand. It’s just a matter of getting to know the tools, which are a bit different than picking up a ruler of some sort.

Only one of the amazing advantages is that you put the measurements into a measurement file, which you add to the pattern when you start. After that, you use formulas that reference the measurements to create the lines and other objects that make up the pattern draft. This way, if you change the measurement file, the pattern will automatically resize from the one size to the other.

Please don’t hesitate to ask if you get stuck.

2 Likes