Niggles in the new release (1.2mm, invalid email and random zoom outs)

Hi, I love using Seamly2d but this latest release has become a bit of a bother. The default pen width is now 1.2mm and no amount of changing settings or messing around can change this.

Similarly, if you do try and change the settings in the Application Settings you can’t do so until you enter a valid email address. Why? I don’t want to add my email address thank you.

There also seems to be an issue with the focus randomly zooming out, especially if you are doing close work moving spline points or hiding point names.

The thing that bothers me is because you only seem to have one main release a year I am stuck. Any chance of some bug fix interim releases?

Many thanks and keep up the excellent work!

2 Likes

More info on the zooming out. If you click on something and miss it zooms out to the full extent which given I am spending a lot of time now clicking on lines so that I can adjust them from the default 1.2mm to the 0.35mm that all my imported files are defaulting to.

2 Likes

Check out current releases on github: Releases · FashionFreedom/Seamly2D · GitHub

I put a null email for the email thing. It was an oversight. The 20240205 release has the issue fixed.

It sounds like when you miss your target you click again almost immediately. Effectively double-clicking. Double-clicking zooms to fit. It does get annoying at times, but I haven’t thought of a solution that I’d like to present, can you?

:unicorn:

1 Like

Oooh, is that what does it? It’s been happening to me, too, and it is very annoying. @Douglas, is there some way that we can de-activate this double-click zoom feature?

1 Like

OH! I bet he already did that.

• rummages through Application Preferences There it is!
  1. Application Preferences (in the File menu)
  2. Graphics category (at the bottom of the list)
  3. Behavior tab (again at the bottom of the list)
  4. Zoom section (middle section)
  5. :black_square_button: Zoom to selected with double click

As for myself, the annoyance from accidentally double-clicking is less than the distress of trying to remember where I left the zoom buttons last. It helps a lot just to know that it’s a double-clicking feature.

:unicorn:

1 Like

Was just going to mention that:

Also… at least on Windows - the mouse double click is a function of your system settings for the delay setting between double clicks. If you have the setting set too long, any 2 successive clicks will trigger a doucle click event. Shorthen the time, and that won’t happen.

This has not been an issue for me… as my delay is set pretty short.

3 Likes

Ooohhh… Thank you. You’re the light of my life! I’ve de-activated the double-click zoom option now. I work with one finger on the Ctrl & the other hand on the mouse wheel, so I zoom in & out all the time. Much easier for me :star_struck:

2 Likes

There’s a new release automatically built EVERY Sunday night. Goto the Github page to download the release.

Also if you you really want to be on top, you can down an Actions artifact any time during the week when ever a PR is successfully built.

Workflow runs · FashionFreedom/Seamly2D · GitHub

3 Likes

Set your preferred default pen, and Click the Save button on the pen Toolbar… it will save the default pen settimgs.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 122946

The reset bitton will restore the toobar to the last saved pen.

3 Likes

Yes. Double clicking doesn’t zoom to fit any application anywhere ever so remove that or allow for gestures and shortcuts to be specified as a user option. Young people have no differentiation between a single and double click.

It would be really useful if the roller ball worked as a proper zoom. Mine sort of works sometimes. Works perfectly on other apps.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Will check out Github

1 Like

I’m kinda getting a bit annoyed at having to repeat myself…

You can DISABLE the “zoom to selected with double click”. It doesn’t need to be removed.

Shortcuts have nothing to do with this topic, but I’m looking forward to your work on the custom shortcut feature… issue #392. :wink:

Works perfectly for me. Maybe try setting the zoom modifer and speed differently.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

Default values for lines do not seem to work. It doesn’t matter what I set them to, I still get lines that are 1.2mm which is a bit of a pain as all my existing designs use 0.35mm meaning every line now has to be adjusted manually.

Also - regarding the roller ball. Yes, zoom works brilliantly, but the scroll vertically is glitchy. It sort of works.

I am sorry you are having to repeat yourself, maybe that is an issue needing some attention in itself? This is a truly great product and I am really appreciative.

1 Like

Let’s take a step back… there are 3 modes to Seamly2D… Draft, Piece, and Layout.

The lines you see in Draft mode have nothing to do with the lines in Piece and Layout.

In Draft mode (only) you can set the default Pen in the Pen Toolbar. Any new tool you add will default to the Pen in the Pen Toobar.

Screenshot 2024-03-02 142644

If your Pen Toolbar is not visible… right mouse click anywhere on an empty space on the toolbar to open the Toolbar Context menu and check the Pen Toolbar.

You can change the Pen attributes in the Pen Toolbar, and “save” that pen setting by clicking the (disc) save button. The app starts with the last saved Pen. You can also click the restore button and it will restore the last saved Pen.

===============================================================

The Lines in Piece and Layout mode are determined by the Pens set in the Preferences->Pattern-Paths

Try changing the Scrollbar settings in the Preferences->Graphics->Navigation and see if that helps. Too long a update interval can make it glitchy. Too fast a speed will be hard to control. I rarely scroll as I toggle the CTRL off for zoom, and I can control the view position just by the mouse pos and zooming. Scrolling is a waste of time as you can only scroll the amount the scrollbars let you. Much quicker to zoom out, move the mouse, zoom in. Only scroll issue is when moving a pattern piece in Piece mode… that can jump too quick when a piece gets near the view edge. I’m not quite sure what the original dev had in mind… and it’s somethinng that still might need to be sorted out.

2 Likes

Aha… ironically I’m currently working on the pattern piece tool, and I came across the reason for the jumpy pattern piece moving. It has nothing to do with the scrollbars per se. Should be able to solve this in short order.

1 Like