Overlay to compare old and new

is there a way to copy a block into another pattern to compare old and new blocks?

2 Likes

Not directly. One could attempt to cut & paste a block section from one pattern to another, but you run the risk of point name conflicts. For ex: If you tried to copy block A from one pattern to another that also has a block A, you will for sure run into name conflicts, and the app will crash.

It’s for this reason it’s not a simple task to be able to import blocks from a library into a new pattern. We have to have a mechanism to avoid name conflicts and rename objects as needed.

Edit: Just a thought… you could export the blocks as an svg, and load them into different layers in an app like Inkscape to compare.

2 Likes

There was the idea to load an svg as background to a pattern. (long time ago … :mantelpiece_clock:)

This is a situation where this feature would be helpfull.

3 Likes

@Bernt – Good point. This would be a very helpful feature. Would you kindly add this use case as a comment in the discussion on github for this issue:
NEW UI/WORKFLOW: Import image file as a background · Issue #440 · FashionFreedom/Seamly2D · GitHub
Thanks so much, we really appreciate it when our users contribute on github. It validates the feature request.

1 Like

I’ve got this about 80% worked out in a feature branch… ran into an issue making the image interactive, so it’s on the side burner. Also got side tracked by a bunch of other (bug) issues. I wanted to work out the interactive aspect (grab points on all 4 corners and sides), because I will also replace the current label behavior as well as use the same interaction when adding a symbols tool.

4 Likes

was able to save as svg and bring into illustrator. thanks!

3 Likes

Glad that worked for you. BTW… this is also currently how some users nest different sizes of pattern pieces.

2 Likes