Real Body Measurements

Hey!

I hope this isn’t against any rules… let me know if it is and I’ll take it right down :slight_smile:

Would anyone be open to giving me their measurements if I sent my ME template?

A little background: I’m working on patterns for my shop and I’d like to build up a larger pool of real-world measurements to toggle between to test for possible conflicts. I want the patterns to draft to a custom size instead of having a size-range, if that makes it clearer. I have my own measurements and those of a handful of friends, but it would be nice to have lots of different body types to test. I have the AASTM charts, but I’ve found that those are more for grading purposes and are based on a “typical” size 4/ B cup model measurements and go up and down from there. In short, they aren’t very useful for what I want to do.

You certainly don’t have to post on here, I can chat with anyone interested via PM. Really, I’m looking for all sizes, heights, you name it. I’d greatly appreciate any help. Just let me know on here or PM me.

If anyone has any interest in or wants to see my sloper first, I’m happy to post it :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading!

4 Likes

Are you looking for Male builds, Female builds, or both? I assume both since, even without getting into psychology, there is a lot of overlap, especially if you want to be sure to be compatible with edge-cases.

I wouldn’t see a problem with posting your blank ME template here, unless for your own quality-control reasons.

:unicorn:

1 Like

Hi @dllsfan! FANTASTIC IDEA!!! Yes please go for it! We would love to support this effort. And I can anonymize this data and store it on the forum for everyone to use.

3 Likes

Sure! I can send you mine and of all that lives in my house kkkkkk

How can I send it to you?

2 Likes

That is an excellent question! I focus on making vintage reproductions of Women’s clothing, but math is math. I’d like to be as inclusive of the LBTQ+ community as possible. Having male, augmented and Trans builds are on my unicorn list and would be wonderful to make sure I’m accounting for as wide of a range as I can :smiley:

1 Like

That would be awesome :smiley:

2 Likes

I made my own measurements template, just because it was easier on my brain to keep them connected with my variables table. You are welcome to post on here or pm me with them when you’re ready.

I should have warned everyone that there’s a lot of measurements LOL

Thank you so much for your help <3

VRP Measurements Template.vit (6.2 KB)

2 Likes

@dllsfan Thanks for the template but it’s universally useful if you use Seamly2D measurement names. Otherwise it doesn’t contribute to the community.

2 Likes

I went through and made a template using the Seamly known measurements that either directly corresponded to mine or I ones that I could make work based on the information. There are a handful that I use for my patterns that aren’t available in the Seamly list (i.e. Cup size, neck length, neck side to high bust point, etc.)

:slight_smile:

measurements template using Seamly known measurements.vit (3.5 KB)

3 Likes

@dllsfan You Rock! Thanks, and its good that you’ve included measurements that aren’t in SeamlyMe yet.

3 Likes

Yo tengo las tablas de medidas por DROP( diferencia entre pecho y cadera en mujeres ,Diferencia entre cintura y tórax en hombre es una medida de complexión de un cuerpo ) que se utilizan en hacer patrones . Con las diferencias de crecimiento por cada punto del patrón. Tengo alguna tabla de medidas de drop 5 de mujer ( diferencia entre cadera cintura 5 cm), la puedo compartir.

Un saludo

Maite

I have the measurement tables by DROP (difference between chest and hip in women, Difference between waist and thorax in men is a measure of the complexion of a body) that are used in making patterns. With the growth differences for each point of the pattern. I have a table of measurements of drop 5 for women (difference between hip waist 5 cm), I can share it.

4 Likes

I haven’t started collecting the measurements that I could yet, but in reviewing them to see what there is I have some thoughts. Particularly regarding cup size.

I note that the Description notes: “Bra cup size using: your best fitting bra, the bust minus overbust (generally works better for c cup or lower), or the bust minus the underbust (generally works better for d cup or over). Rounded to the nearest inch.”

It seems like this should be automatable using functions. Something like ((bust_circ-lowbust_circ)<4?(bust_circ-highbust_circ):(bust_circ-lowbust_circ)) “If the difference between the bust & low-bust measurements is less than 4 inches then use the difference between the bust & high-bust measurements, else use the difference between the bust & low-bust measurements.”

Problems being that not everyone uses inches & The cm (EU) charts run about double the inch ones, putting a D around 20cm (8in) instead of 4in. As I’m pretty sure @dllsfan is based in Portland, I used the 4in, though just reading the Wikipedia article, that’s not necessarily right either.

2 Likes

I didn’t think to make an adjustment to the notes for cm, but I’ll definitely keep that in mind making adjustments to the instructions.

The trouble with cup size is that it’s individual. For me, one measurement will give me a B cup (hahahaha… no) and another will give me an E cup. I’ve noticed that it can be either or based on the individual’s size but it is not set in stone enough for me to set it up in the pattern as an if/then. For example, one set I have is for a friend with a c cup overbust measurement and a d cup under bust measurement but actually has b cup breasts. So I feel it’s more dependent on the shape of the breast and the size of the bra that the individual wears the most and want to give folks that flexibility. Does that make sense?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, yes! Is Cup Size even actually helpful? It seems like other measurements might be more helpful for fitting garments, (or even making bras.) Of course, I’m also really good at making things difficult for myself.

1 Like

Proper bra fit is based on the difference between the highbust and bust, the difference between the bust and lowbust, the bustpoint distance, the front bust arc, the scye depth for the back, the bustline depth in the front, and the length between the bustpoint and the lowbust line.

Made-to-measure bras need to use more measurements and formulas that the ready-to-wear industry uses. If you order a suit using only chest, waist, and height measurements then you’ll get more of a ready-to-wear fit. It is the same with bras. If you want a precise fit you’ll use more measurements. Just my two cents…

2 Likes

The sloper I use has a shoulder, armscye and waist dart that divides the cup size amongst the darts to accommodate for different bust sizes. It has adjustments to remove some of the extra material that accumulates in the armscye and I find, all around, that it is better able to accommodate larger-busted individuals. That is what the cup size measurement is for, automatic bust ease and makes at least one fitting issue a bit easier :wink:

I’m still learning bra making. I’m not quite there yet but I’m trying!

3 Likes

Oh, I understand the basic need, kinda, just well enough to be sure that there’s a more perfect system, but not enough to accept that the current one has good reason not to be thrown away lightly.

:unicorn:

1 Like

Not thrown away of course, just improved a bit!

3 Likes