Seamly 2D running on macOS 14 (Somoma)

@Grace , @Douglas good afternoon from Berlin. As you maybe know *Apple has released the new oerating system macOS Somoma 14.1. End of Semptember amd already relased two updates due to Problems with stability disfunkion and so on. Actually in the German open forum Apfeltalk, its more or less agreed to wait with the Update at least until early summer next year. Of course the problems became obvious after updating the system. So a number of Mac Users is facing these problems, and as usual, many external programms didnt work with macOS 14. Microsoft and Adobe have already done their work. So my question is: Is Seamly 2D ready for macOs 14 (Somoma)? Or will the situation will be similar to the time after macOs 12 Monteray came uo. are there any feedbacks already dealing with this?. :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Hello @H.Naehmann

I haven’t seen anything on the forum yet, but perhaps we should specify that Seamly only currently works on MacOS up to 12 for now.

1 Like

Hello @Grace ,

thanks for your quick answer, and I think an announcment will be helpful for all Mac users not to change from macOS 12 (Monterey) to macOS 14 (Somoma) maybe you can put this informtion in The about Seamly2D App where all users look for the update, as I’m not sure of all Mac Users charing this forum and will get the information . Apple is definetely forcing you to change, You get the reminder a few times a day and this builds up pressure for the users.

2 Likes

Wndows did the same thing with Windows 11 if you had Windows 10 and the hardware supported 11. I just kept avoiding it as I always hate making major updates -especially the OS.

Well, we’re in the process of migrating Seamly to Qt6, which means that all builds going forward will have to be 64bit, as Qt6 no longer supports 32bit. Problem is there’s been an issue running the GCC debugger in 64 bit mode, where it can’t register some Windows 10 library… AND the fact thatt we switched the Seamly builds to using MSVC instead of GCC. So… I took a MAJOR dive and figured I could fix the debugger issue by updating to Windows 11… plus I had to install Visual Studio, AND update to add the Qt6 modules. Windows 11 went fine… the rest messed my build flow for weeks as I had to reconfigure build kits. The GCC 64 bit debugger still doesn’t work, but I can now use the MSVC debugger installed.

2 Likes

Hello @Douglas, and Hello @Grace, I can imagine the workload to make Seamly 2D running under the Next macOs Version. This was in the past a much bigger problem for macUsers, as Programms like Word, Excel, Powerpoint and also Adobe were not available for Mac, You needed a Software called parallel Desktop, wich simply devided Your Mac in two halfs, the one running with macOs the other with Windows. But Apple stopped that. The companies like Microsoft, Adobe and even smaller ones like the companies selling programs for income Tax declaration, released versions vor Mac. The next change was the the M1 Prozessor, which makes your Mac extremly fast the concept is good. But again a challenging work for Programm developpers.

Maybe as a conclusion you should tink about the question, Is it the worth work to serve a small minority of mac users with seamly 2D. Even if I would be sad than I can understand. Many other Pattern construction programs (like gravis, which also offered a freeware version and is very popular in Germany, is not available in a MAC Version ( or the embroidery Programm Hatch for my embroidery machine )

SO maybe this year will have a challlenging end.

And as a final Thought concerning the announcment that Seamly is not running with macOs 14. To place it on the website also (there is not much happening, )

1 Like

From what I see at Qt on macOS 14 Sonoma it looks quite positive this time for Qt applications. I will give it a try on a macOS 14 machine once I get my hands on one. So far I would say, that its not tested, but I am hopeful. I would not agree that its “not running on macOS 14”, its just not tested but it may well run fine, as it does on macOS 13 and macOS 12

4 Likes

huch? Maybe take this with a grain of salt, but I’m actually working on Ventura (13.2.1), and Seamly is tagging along fine as far as I can tell.

4 Likes

My MacOS Sonoma (14.1.1) can handle Seamly2D Mac Version (2023.11.20.149) working similarly well as in MacOS ventura 13. So Seamly working well in Sonoma at least when i quickly tested it.

4 Likes

just saw this and have already upgraded. does that mean i’m just out of luck?

1 Like

According to

So you shouldn’t have any problems. If you do have problems, please report them so that the devs can look into it.

:unicorn:

2 Likes