Seamly2D not creating lines

I’m new to Seamly2D and I seem to be having trouble creating lines or curves at all. The most I seem to be able to get is one straight line. The program isn’t asking for line length, or letting me import measurments from SeamlyMe. So frustrating to get a line sometimes, or a curve that doesn’t make sense (although I guess it’s better than the nothing I’m usually getting).

Please help! Am I doing something fundamentally wrong (I saw in a YouTube video that you should go counterclockwise, but that’s not giving me the results I need either, everyone else seems to just be clicking and creating lines, curves, and points effortlessly, maybe it’s my computer?)

3 Likes

Welcome to Seamly! Don’t worry, many of us – certainly me – started in a very similar spot.

(ETA: Grace’s response, below mine, is probably more helpful.)

First, the counterclockwise thing is the first step of the second (third?) stage of drafting, so it doesn’t matter quite yet.

Is it too much to assume that you have already established a measurement file using SeamlyMe? If not, that’s your first step. Go to the Measurements menu & Open SeamlyMe (or you could open it directly from the finder/file explorer if you’re not using the linux AppImage.)

Okay, assuming that you do have a measurement file made-up. With your new pattern glowing with that big shiny A, go to the Measurements menu & Load Individual / Multisize. Use the dialog to navigate to the desired .smis or .smms & Open it.

Now your measurement file is linked to your draft. I recommend saving now.

Your drafting system is probably based on lines, even if only to focus on the points at the intersections of those lines, because we humans have trouble conceptualizing pure points. Computers, however, operate from the opposite direction: everything is made of points, as the mathematicians wish us to believe. Therefore in Seamly2D you must draft by points.

So, the first & preeminent tool is: Point - Length and Angle.

For instance, drafting directions for a skirt might say, “Draw a vertical line. Draw a line crossing is at the top for the waist. Draw a line crossing it at the distance from waist to hip…”

In Seamly you would use Point - Length and Angle to put a point (A1) at 270° & height_waist_side-height_hip from A, & again to put a point (A2) at 0° & waist_circ/4 from A, & again to put a point (A3) at 0° & hip_circ/4 from A1. (your formula are likely to be a little different, because a garment needs ease.)

I hope this helps you get on track!

:unicorn:

1 Like

I think most of us cut our Seamly teeth on a panty pattern that was posted on the internet and @JCDesign has very kindly added a complete tutorial on this on the Wiki, from start to finished. It’s a nice quick article of clothing that covers all of the basics to get started.

3 Likes

Thanks for the pointers in the right direction!

I do have measurements loaded in SeamlyMe, however, I’m not given a dialog box to choose which measurements I need either. I can load an individual, but it doesn’t let me choose any particular measurements (which I also found strange). Also, what’s this formula mode people seem to be mentioning? How do I get to that mode?

Also, I’m using a Macbook. I deleted the program and reinstalled to make sure I have the latest version.

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Thanks Grace! I’m gonna follow it step by step and get into it.

2 Likes

Aaahhh… Ok, The “formula mode” (Formula Wizard) is the f(x) icon to the right and above the place where you enter the length/angle of the object:

In the Formula Wizard, you can select the measurements from SeamlyME, the Variables Table (Menu > Measurements > Variables), Line Lengths/Angles, and more:

Or, if you know the name of the measurement that you wish to add (or line name, etc.), you can just type them in, but in the beginning, it’s hard to remember all the different names to type them in correctly.

Or you can just enter a direct measurement or angle in the appropriate box.

I hope this helps and please don’t hesitate to ask if you get stuck again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also there’s the caveat that the FX editor will only show you the variables you can use for the tool you’re trying to add a formula to… where as typing a variable in may result in an error as the variable one is trying to use is created in a “future” tool that as far as the current tool is concerned, hasn’t been created yet.

3 Likes

Yeeeesssss!!! Thank you so much everyone! I was SO LOST at first but this thread has cleared up a lot of my confusion. I can’t wait to get into this later today!!!

2 Likes