Something about .vit's lacking measurements

Sometimes I’m working on a pattern & want to switch measurement files to check my formulas, but the file I want to check it with doesn’t yet have some of the measurements. Now, I can either go back & forth, hoping that I remember which measurements I need, or I can close out my pattern to use the import function in SeamlyMe.

I’d like to either be able to import measurements from a live pattern, or have some manner of exporting measurements to the .vit from Seamly2D

:unicorn:

1 Like

Can I assume you want to import the measurements with it’s value… not just the measurement - which we can do already. Also I assume you just want to import / add a single measurement- not every measurene in a pattern?

1 Like

I want to import measurements from a .val that is actively being drafted. I have been getting a “Critical Error” stating that “This file is already opened in another window.” & denied access. Which seems like overkill, since I can’t even edit anything in the file, & , albeit with a dire warning, I can open the file a second time in Seamly2D. It would make more sense to be the other way around.

I want to transfer every measurement which the .vit does not yet have.

I don’t care so much about the measurement being pre-filled, especially since at the moment I’ve been switching between doll & human measurements, but don’t see it as a problem either.

1 Like

That’s the file locking mechanism… which means you can’t open the file again until the lock is released. It’s another one of the things I had to unravel in regards to updating the Autosave feature - which BTW I had to put on hold till I can figure out how to sync the preference settings file between multiple instances of the app running.

I know SeamlyME will import measurements from a .val file - as I’ve done so to get a pattern a user has posted without the .vit file - but I’m not sure what happens if you already have a .vit open? Is import disabled? Or dies it just overwrite everything? Which maybe this is why you suggested a measurement merge feature awhile back? Seems at minimum we could alter the current import routine to add only the measurements from a source .vit that don’t exist in a destination .vit. idealy though my suggestion in the other topic to merge 2 souces into a new 3rd destination is a more elegant solution, as it leaves the source files intact.

1 Like

A rather shoddy lock, I say! Since it only locks out 'Me, which only wants to look at it & loosely latches '2D, which could very well damage it.

As far as I can tell it is additive, it pulls in only the unique measurements, in their default empty state, from .val’s

Merging sources is a tangential question, & I think ought to be able to include the filled out formulas in the target file.

2 Likes

There has to be a lock though… you can’t have 2 copies of the same file open or you won’t know what state the file is in. I know you can view (like in Notepad) an open pattern - I do it all the time - I would think though you can’t save to the file while Seamly2D has a lock on it.

1 Like

Yes, but the lock only applies to the one program that can’t make changes. It does not stop one from opening the same file multiple times in Seamly2D. I can open the same file in multiple instances of Seamly2D, (with a warning.)

1 Like

Point taken. I’d have to look at the code again, I’m not sure what type of Q lock is used - read, write, or both. I believe even though you can open a locked pattern. file, you won’t be able to “Save”, but you can “Save as”.

2 Likes

@Pneumarian,

I played last evening with the app in regards to the file locking, and you’re correct… it’s rather shoddy. It really doesn’t protect a pattern file at all - whether you’re opening multiple copies within Seamly2D or opening / saving from an external editor.

Based on the way I’m familiar with the way some apps I use it should do one of several things 1) Literally lock the file so only the app that has the lock can read / write the file. 2) If you want to be able to open multiple copies in Seamly2D it should present a message box stating its being used, do you want to open it as “unamed” (or some other name). 3) If you want external editors access to the file, then Seamly2D has to know about when changes have been made so the user has the option to update the ooen file in Seamly2D - much like Qt Creator does if you use an external editor (like I do using Atom), where if a file is open in Creator, and you save changes it in Atom, when you go back to Creator it asks do you want to save the file in Creator.

1& 2 are pretty straight forward. 3 a bit more work… rather like syncing with a measurement file when you make changes to a vit in ME.

2 Likes