Testing Seamly flatpack release

I have downloaded and installed the flatpack version of Seamly2d and done a few simple tests.

Please let me know whether this forum is the appropriate method to provide some feedback on what I have found

4 Likes

This is a screenshot showing the version.

1 Like

Maintainer of the Flatpak here. Thank you for testing! Please provide your feedback here, more than happy to fix if possible.

3 Likes

I’m curious as to what you see in the screenshot? I see qt ver 5 15.6 when the app is coded for 5.15.2?

1 Like

That is one reason I included the screenshot. Clearly there is a difference in the flatpack build and the most recent appimage build I found at github in the main seamly2d repository. This screenshot is from the appimage (Nov 5). I assume there was no major difference in the code.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t be… but my understanding Qt 5.15.2 is the last free ver so the issue I see is IF for some reason 5.15.6 introduces any bugs, I / we have no way to debug that. In other words we’re at a max version wall unless someone is going to start paying for licenses.

I saw in the workflows the reverting from 5.15.3 to 5.15.2… but I have no idea where the 5.15.6 is coming from.

2 Likes

I have no idea either about 5.15.6, It is simply what showed up when I pressed the help option on the flatpack release

1 Like

The “check for updates” under help does not work in Seamly2D. The same is true in SeamlyME.

1 Like

There are several minor file system related errors when opening SeamlyMe and attempting to create a new measurement file.

1 Like

It appears that the file paths set in preferences in SeamlyMe are not used and that after clicking “ok” through the errors, the path is set to whatever path the user had open last. The “installation script” that I hope will be created will set environment variables and fix this.

1 Like

The measurement diagram is not displayed, both in the “database” option and the individual “add known” measurement menu selections. This may either mean the diagram file was not packaged into the flatpack or not opened correctly.

1 Like

@AnnaFields thank you for the screenshots of the issues, I will take a look so that I can get them fixed from the flatpak. For the updates: As Flatpak itself will provides updates, the buttons can go, just need to check how.

Regarding the Qt Version, @Douglas: The flatpak uses the KDE flatpak runtime, as that also contains Qt in a relatively new version. This is built from source, thus slightly newer than 5.15.2, thus we have 5.15.6 + some patches from the KDE.

For more details, see flatpak-kde-runtime/org.kde.Sdk.json.in at qt5.15lts-22.08 · KDE/flatpak-kde-runtime · GitHub which references eg for qtbase from a kde git mirror.

1 Like

I think this is a problem with the linux make files. The diagrams are certainly available in the source, but my home-build doesn’t have them either. I can’t remember when they disappeared, but there was a thread about it a while ago.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

If someone were using one of the KUbuntu long term supported versions which included an older version of KDE would the flatpack version still run? Would the Flatpack itself allow you to create versions that would? I believe that April 2020 and April 2018 long term support versions are likely to be out there.

1 Like

When I mentioned the even numbered year April LTS versions, I realize that refers only to Ubuntu and its flavors. KDE is packaged with KUbuntu. Attempting to characterize the desktop on the many other variants of Ubuntu or Debian based and non Debian based linux distributions is more than I would try to attempt here. Do you have someone testing whether this release runs under GNOME or any other desktop options?

1 Like

@csett86 I just educated myself just a little and found that flatpack supports GNOME and elementary as platforms in addition to KDE

1 Like

The check for updates has not worked since forking since wherever the releases were stored is no longer there. The app uses the 3rd party fvUpdater. I have updates to the About dialogs in the works, and I will either see if I can fix the updates or remove the Check updates until we can figure out where stable releases are to reside.

The other issues appear to be build issues rather than code issues.

3 Likes

@Douglas - According to our buddies at Qt, we can run our code on qt v6 if we want to, on our community license. Qt v5.15.11 is the last version before the big changes to v6. Once we get our 5.15.2 builds created for all 3 OS’s, let’s update to 5.15.11, then let’s go for v6.

1 Like

@Douglas - The latest stable releases reside at https://github.com/fashionfreedom/seamly2d/releases/latest

Probably the easy path forward here is to put a link to our github releases/latest URL at the 'Check for updates". When the browser opens to the github download releases page the user can click on the file they need to download it. Simple.

2 Likes

The latest updates to the .yml build files uses the “ubuntu-latest” server, which is now Ubuntu Jammy 22.04 LTS. The default Qt version on Jammy is 5.15.3. The latest updates also removed unneeded dependencies which makes the executable smaller. :+1: :+1: :+1:

I tested the AppImage today and it runs great except for the SeamlyMe issues which I posted today. Its definitely much, much better than it was before.

I’ll get on the Flatpack testing later today. The Flathub build service is apparently using a different version of Qt, v 5.15.6. It’s probably not a significant change from v5.15.2 or v5.15.3.

2 Likes