Tool in patterns, to rotate or mirror pattern pieces

Often, I want to rotate or mirror a finished pattern piece (to combine it for example), but the only way I seem to be able to do that, is by mirroring the points of the construction, resulting in a mess. A mirror-and rotate-tool in the pattern step would help me a lot :).

2 Likes

Hello, @odrnorn. This is where the groups perform beautifully. I put the bits that I wish to Mirror and/or Rotate into a group, do the mirror/rotate & then add those pieces to the group. When I create the pattern piece, I can have only this group visible so that I don’t get confused by all the other construction bits & pieces.

2 Likes

Thanks for adding your voice in support of this feature-request! This is one of the features which will be included as part of implementing a proper Marker mode.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

Actually as a pre-cursor to this… and as a pre-cursor to fixing the Union tool… I’m thinking of adding a new Piece tool - “Copy Piece”, where I would also add new Piece properties for Flip and Rotate. The problem in the Union tool is that it has issues with creating a union piece, while keeping the original pieces. It’s really convoluted as to how it’s creating the Union. That’s why if I first add a Copy Piece tool, I believe I can simplify and clean up making a new piece, which can then be expanded to combine 2 pieces as one. The way it is now a Union has to be created from the 2 source pieces every time the pattern is parsed - which is stupid. Just add a new Piece, where a Union tool doesn’t ever have to be parsed - the new united piece then gets parsed just like any other piece. As usual though it would be fairly easy to implement a new method for the Union tool… the problem is how to maintain compatabilty with exiting patterns that use the Union tool, and how to convert to the new format fixing the old.

2 Likes

Couldn’t it be left as is and disabled from future use? Just have the new tool available for use. I know this will leave some untidy residue in the coding but I think it’s more important to get the new tool into Seamly. The sooner we can start using it, the sooner we can get rid of the untidy residue.

1 Like

I’ve thought of that, and it’s an option. What’s even worse is the Union tool already has several different versions, where it switched at pattern version 0.3.2… which was well before the fork which was 0.6.2. So there’s “double baggage” keeping the current Union tool.

2 Likes

Ouch! Perhaps we should just be patient until you can get it all sorted properly.