Unable to get spline to properly transfer into

Ich habe jetzt festgestellt. Das ich bei beiden Schnitten den eigentlich falschen Punkt gewƤhlt habe. Die Kundin hat eine groƟe Oberweite und ich habe in den Ƅnderungspunkten die starke Brust geƤndert. Die Folge ist, das der AbnƤher in der Seitennaht grĆ¶ĆŸer wurde. Das hat dann die Nahtzugabe abhauen lassen. Bei dem kleineren BrustabnƤher hat sich das nicht bemerkbar gemacht.

Der Kundenschnitt mit einer starken Brust:

Ausgangsschnitt mit einer normalen Brust:

2 Likes

Well done! @Scholli :slight_smile:

Actually shows why the curves should be using the same end point - either A4 or A2. Even if you add A4 and A2 as nodes with the curves, you will get a line segment between them.

2 Likes

Okā€¦ following up on auto reversing curves in the Pattern Piece Tool dialog, Iā€™m working on the Insert Node tool. First step is to make it the Insert Nodes tool - were a user can select multiple nodes to insert.

To more appropriately represent the idea of inserting nodes rather than making a link or connection - changing the tool icon to:

insert_nodes_icon@2x

The dialog will now display the selected nodes / objects in a list, where you can use the context menu or the Del key to delete a node.

insert_nodes_dialog

Now just to have to add some code to intelligently add nodes - to try and auto reverse curves if possible, and since you canā€™t select a curve more than once - to detect if a selected point is located on a curve so that an additional copy of a curve node can be placed after the point node.

Oh, and based on some discussion we had on the topic in another thread - for now Iā€™m going to just add the nodes excluded at the bottom of the path list. Down the road I can try and see if we can intelligently add included any of the nodes to the path list in order.

5 Likes

Got the Insert Nodes intelligently working. It will now auto reverse curves, and it will automatically insert another curve node if you selected a curve followed by a point on the curve excluding the first or last point.

insert_nodes_dialog-1

In the above I selected in order point A3, spl_A12_A3 (a counter clockwise curve) , A95, A97, and A12. It produced the correct path between A3 and A12.

Woo hoo.

So the question is do I add the ability to set points as notches and / or reversing curves in the context menu OR just leave those items for editing in the Pattern Piece Dialog->Main Path?

3 Likes

Wow! Very well done!!!

A small questionā€¦ What happens if you only want a portion of a curve? Say from A95 to A12? Would the portion from A3 to A95 be excluded and not cause problems with the SA?

I think that, since it is reversing the curves dynamically, thereā€™s no point in adding it to the context menu, but I do think that we will still need to set points as notches, otherwise the list for choosing the notches for the nodes may be a bit long and confusing.

2 Likes

Das wƤre super, wenn man sich einzelne Bereiche einer Kurve, die zwischen zwei Punkten liegen, herausnehmen kƶnnte. Besonders wenn man sie bewegt werden, wĆ¼rde nicht immer die ganze Kurve mit gespiegelt, gedreht oder bewegt werden.

1 Like

If you selected A95, the curve, then A12, thatā€™s what would be selected, although since A95 is not the start or end point of the curve we canā€™t determine direction and auto rotate if neccessary. Basically what the code does is look at the node before the selected one, if the previous node is a curve, and the selected node is a point on the curve, it appends the point, followed by a copy of the curve. Had to do it this way, or you wouldnā€™t be able to select the curve again (if needed) , since doing so removes the node from the selected objects.

As previously notedā€¦ this only works if you select a curveā€™s first or last point, then the curve. So I have to leave the option to reverse curves for some cases. You could for ex: select the whole curve as in my previous postā€¦ which will auto reverse if neccessary - then just delete the nodes you donā€™t need before pressing enter.

Figuring out how to intelligently insert newly selected nodes in the main path is another story. There will be some cases where you canā€™t know where in the main path the nodes are to go. Figuring out where to insert a missing curve node is easyā€¦ but then again Iā€™m thinking now I could apply the same logic to selecting a pattern piece, where you would only have to select a curve once.

Oh, BTWā€¦ I added the beep sound when you select a node as confirmation an object was selected.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a whole seperate draft mode issue. This simply applies to inserting multiple nodes to a piece at the same time, as opposed to inserting them one at a time as currently required in the app.

That being said, it gets rather complex as to what happens when you segment or intersect a curve. As far as the curve (tool) is concerned there is only 1 curve. To be able have multiple curve segments, every tool that cuts or interacts a curve, would need to create 2 new curvesā€¦ so that you can select just that segment of the curve.

3 Likes

Yes, a totally different issue.

For now, the best would be to create the curves in segments, but the idea is a great one, @Scholli :star_struck:

Currently you would have to create your curveā€¦ then create a point along the curve or an intersect point. Then using that point and the curveā€™s start and end points create 2 new curvesā€¦ and THATā€™S what would need to happen if the tools were to do that automatically.

The one problem I see is if the curve segments lie on top of the original curve, you canā€™t select the curve if you wanted to use it in piece. You would only be able to select the segments that lie on top, as there is no way (currently) to raise or lower an objectā€™s Z

3 Likes

Your wish is my commandā€¦ lol

Not only did I add a context menu item to set a point as a notch, you can set the type via a sub menu.

insert_nodes_notch

Iā€™ll make the same addition to the main path context menu.

BTW, just to be consistent I added a reverse menu item for curves.

4 Likes

Discovered an odd quirk when inserting nodes. If more than 1 duplicate node point is ā€œincludedā€ in the main path, no notch is displayed.

Wonder if I should add a duplicate point node check that pops up a warning saying something to the effect ā€œthis node is a duplicate do you want to replace the existing one, remove the selected one, or keep both?ā€ ?

3 Likes

I too think that might be desirable.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

Thank you very much :star_struck:

Wow! Very nice :smile: What about a little counter to add more than 1?

No, I think it should just ignore the 2nd one at the time of creation and not select it, as it would normally be the 1st node being selected as the last node again. I really donā€™t mind either way, but to have a bunch of warnings popping up every 2 seconds can get a bit annoying.

Which brings up something elseā€¦ :laughing:

I know that once you have progressed through the sequence of selecting nodes & curves, when you get far enough, you get an indication of the progress of your selectionsā€¦ but sometimes, you doubt whether you actually clicked on an object because thereā€™s nothing to let you know that you did. So you click again and this, if it was selected the 1st time, would unselect it.

Is there a way to highlight or mark the objects selected? Like when using the movie or group tools the selected objects get a dotted box around them?

1 Like

Not practical in the context menu.

Well that was my thought. If you are only inserting a single point node, not so bad, but if you inserted a bunch it would get anmoying as it cycles through checking each node.

I mainly just wanted to point out the behavior of duplicate nodes and notches.

They are highlighted with the crawling ants ie: dotted (or dashed) box. Maybe I could change the color of the box to the Preferred primary selection color? In any case I find the beep to help, as sometimes you click and nothing is selected. Kinda like the grocery checkout scanners. I also found I need to slow down clicking objects. Again for me thatā€™s where waiting for the beep helps.

2 Likes

Ah! ok. sounds great. Thank you. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not too sure where to put this but I guess this is as good a place as any, since it has to do with the piece/layout mode.

Iā€™m busy doing the layout for a size-test pattern and I only want SA on the side seams. Iā€™ve started the piece at the top left node and selected all the curves & nodes that I need to outline the pattern piece. All went well. Then I added the SA, as usual. All went well. But then I selected the 1st node (top left) and removed the SA after that nodeā€¦ set it to 0. All the seam allowances disappeared. Put it back, all was fine again. I removed all the seam allowances everywhere that I need them removed, except for this node. Saved, closed & reopened. Everything was fine.

Removed the After SA of that 1st node & the others all disappeared again.

Iā€™ve reduced the SA to 0.33cm on the After SA & itā€™s fine, but if I set it to 0.32cm or less, all disappear again.

Any suggestions?

image image

It worked just fine on the back piece where I started with E26:

Can you post the pattern and measurement file?

I still have yet to wrap my head around all the nuances of the SA code, but I know there is still some abnormal behaviors with the SAā€™s. Since the code is working in the realm of real numbers, thereā€™s a bunch of fuzzy math going on, so when for ex a test is made between 2 points if theyā€™re equalā€¦ well they may be off by .000001 and therefore not equal. With the fuzzy math thereā€™s a closeness factor (epislon) , where if thereā€™s a difference of .0001, itā€™s could be considered close enough. This could be the case where you say .33 cm works while .32cm does not. ?? Maybe we need to look at setting the epsilon bigger? Or it could be something completely differentā€¦ thereā€™s also a lot of geometry going on with the SAā€™s.

Sometimes changing the starting node fixes the issue.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll send the files to you in private. They donā€™t belong to me :slight_smile: