Want to clone a physical pattern piece, then make it multisize

I have been trying to figure out this program. I have a paper pattern taken off an existing antique garment. What is the best way to clone that into the program, and then make it into multiple sizes?

I have gotten as far as importing an image of the pattern piece. I’ve bought the $50 Aldrich pack. I feel like I am just flailing.

1 Like

Hello and welcome, @Jana

The Aldrich pack is just a base pattern… The starting point… basically a silhouette garment or a moulage with minimal ease.

Firstly, what size is the pattern that you have? You will need to resize the image in Seamly to reflect the actual dimentions of the final garment pattern.

Then you’ll need to figure out how much ease was added to the original pattern and set this in the Variables Table and set the size at the bottom right of the draft screen to the size of the pattern.

Once you’ve done all of that, then you can start moving darts around, redrawing the neckline, etc. etc. to look like the image in the background.

Once you have the pattern drawn according to the size, then you’ll be able to change the size of the pattern by changing the size in the bottom right corner and everything should resize accordingly.

Once you have done all of that, then you’ll need to create the facings, collars, cuffs… and then you’ll be ready to create all of the pattern pieces and then you’ll be able to export the pattern to PDF or whichever format you will be sewing from.

I hope that this brief workflow helps you. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve made progress, I think.

2 Likes

Hello there @Jana

I think you should make sure your pattern image is clear and correctly sized in your software. Use the basic pack instructions to trace and photograph each pattern element accurately. Then next; match each piece original size and grade rules for different sizes, ensuring proportions are maintained. Validate your measurements against common size charts. Test print a working model to ensure accuracy before mass production. i apprecite the information of @Grace I hope this will also helpful for you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hi @Jana

I think @Jana is getting on well and knows that she’ll need to test the pattern, first by printing it and then by checking the pattern against the pattern pieces that she has, before taking a scissor to fabric and sewing up a test garment.