Add "Letter" to the Pattern Pieces Table

Good evening,

I am working on files with a large number of pattern pieces, and I find I forget what letter I’ve assigned to the last pattern piece as I work on the file over time. I was wondering if the “letter” for the pattern could be added to the table on the Piece function.

The example attached shows the table on the right which currently says “I L C”. I’m not sure what all of them mean, but could we add the letter somewhere beside the Name?

Thank you

Sandra

3 Likes

Ooh, yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Even though I haven’t lettered any of my own patterns yet.

But I can tell you what the columns are! The “I” is for whether or not the piece is to be Included in the layout. The “L” is for whether or not the piece is Locked, (which I assume keeps one from accidentally tampering with it.) The “C” is for the Colour of the piece.

:unicorn:

1 Like

Already in the next iteration… which I will be pushing some time today.

piece_dock

Since I don’t like the formatting due to proportional fonts, I may just add it as a seperate column.

Next iteration - the Letter will be translatable. A simple routine takes the full translated header title and returns just the 1st letter in upper case.

2 Likes

Excellent! Thank you! :slight_smile: :grinning:

1 Like

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

I went ahead and made the piece “Letter” a seperate column. Which I’m calling it the P - “Piece” column since L is already used for Locked. I’m much happier now with the formattimg as it centers the text in the column.

Just a note… in order to avoid the sort issue with numerics in a string - like 1, 15, 2, 3, 4… instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, 15… zero’s are prepended to numbers to make up the 3 digits. This doesn’t affect the actual piece letter in Labels, unless you actually prepend the zeros in the Pattern Piece dialog to begin with. I could probably tweak the regex I used to better handle mixed alpha numeric letters - so that for ex: 1A, and 1B are not sorted inbetwen 100 and 800… but I figure in reality users are mostly going to use one or the other - Numbers OR Letters.

piece_dock

2 Likes

Yes. Exactly. You’re pretty much locked out from deleting or editing the piece, including moving it on the screen. You can however raise or lower the piece, as well as change whether the labels or grainlines are visible.

I should probably also note… that double clicking on a C item opens the Color dialog, while double clicking on the P or a Name item opens the Pattern Piece Dialog. Also clicking on a locked item will sound the warning (beep) tone.

2 Likes

I just added tooltips for the Groups and Piece dock header items that describe what the column is.

tooltip

2 Likes

Since I added some new translatable text to the Pattern Piece dock I ran an lupdate, and noticed most of the Mainwindow short cuts were in the translation files. Since there is no need to translate them I marked them as “notr” in the ui form to remove them from the tr files.

So now each ts file is down to only 13,205 lines. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For German lamguage its good to have also the keyboard shortcuts translated, as the Ctrl Key is labeled Strg on German keyboard layout. So I would suggest to keep them for now, at least if the translation works at the moment. I can test that later today :slight_smile:

1 Like

But at least with macOS its not working, this is the German translation, and nothing is translated (as in macOS Ctrl would be cmd, but thats not happening. So we can for now get rid of the unused translations, as you proposed, @Douglas

2 Likes

I did leave the Ctrl keyed shortcuts in. I just removed ones such as “K” for About->Shortcuts.

1 Like

I’m assuming that’s because no one has ever translated the “Ctrl” in shortcut strings. I assume the About->Shortcut html’s are being translated, but I’ll check to see if they are. That doesn’t address the Mac Ctrl / Cmd issue… it’s just not feasible to condionally code all the Ctrl tr() strings for macOS. I suppose an option could be to duplcate all the ts files and make a Mac version of each one, where Ctrl could be translated to Cmd. But again that’s a lot of work.

Question though… in the menus on the macOS what displays - Ctrl or Cmd? My understanding is that internally Qt accounts for this?

Also I noticed in another app that is translating the (menu) shortcuts that Shift is Umschsalt in German? Is this correct and should we keep any Shift shortcuts?

2 Likes

I checked the 2D &Me About->Shortcuts html docs and they currently are not translated. I’m switching them on.

2 Likes

Well… I’m not surprised. Nothing is ever easy. I figured I’d go ahead and add the rest of German translations for the Ctrl and Shift - some where already there - and I discovered that when you change the language from English all the shortcut in the menus vanish. ???

menu_trans_error

There’s a solution, but this is really dumb.

I also figured I’d google Umschalt which translates to “switch” in English - semantically NOT the same as “shift”. You can shift or switch gears, but you don’t shift a light on and off. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In macOS the menu shows the correct shortcuts, also in German, so Qt automatically accounts for that.

1 Like