How can I help with translations to Portuguese?

Hi, everyone!

I’ve recently started using Seamly and I’d like to help with the translations to portuguese, but I’m not a developer :slight_smile:

Is there any way I could help without actually getting my hands into the source code?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum, @acosturadodia.

I’ve been looking to find where there are specific instructions on how to do this but I’m afraid I got lost myself, so I can’t expect you to find how to do this, but the most recent conversation is here.

Perhaps @Douglas can point us in the right direction or write a small tutorial on how to do this?

1 Like

At minimum you have to at least have a current copy of the Portuguese translation (TS) files. You could edit it with any text editor, but I highly suggest that one use the Qt Linguist application to edit ts files. It will keep you from mangling the files, plus it’s just way easier to use.

You can download your OS ver of Linguist from here:

And here are the measuement and seamly2d ts files. I had to rename them with “.val” at the end to post here. Rename without the .val, and you can load them into Linguist to edit the translations. To make it easier you can just repost (or send me) the edited ts files back and I can add them to the repo.

measurements_pt_BR.ts.val (228.5 KB) seamly2d_pt_BR.ts.val (595.5 KB)

When you load a ts file in Linguist it will look like this… with the Context box to the left - context meaning what part of the app the texts are located in. There is then the Strings box to the right which are the text strings that are translated. For the most part the ones with yellow ? marks in the Context box or the grey ? marks in the Strings box are the ones that don’t have a translation. Below the Strings box is the Source text and Translation (Red box in screencap). This is where you enter the translation. Also you’ll want to keep an eye the Warnings box, as it will alert you to something that may be wrong with the translation. Otherwise it’s just a matter of elimininating as many grey check and ? marks as possible. A green checkmark means the translaion has been verified to be correct. A yellow ? mark will have a translation, but it may or may not be correct. For example… I could use Google to fill in Portugueses translations, but since I don’t speak Portuguese I have no idea if the translation is correct or correct for the context it’s used in. If someone is fluent in both languages, then one can use the Green checkmark in the toolbar to Mark item as done… or verify it’s OK. Ideally we would want every Context item to be a green checkmark - meaning that language is 100% translated.

linguist

2 Likes

OR… by converting the ts file to an xlsx file and uploading it to Google Translate, then downloading the tanslated xlsx file, and converting back to ts.

1 Like

Thank you very much for this, @Douglas I’ve downloaded everything and it’s very clear and easy to do the translations using the Qt Linguist. :star_struck:

1 Like

If not tedious. Yeah… other than watching out for some warnings- usually puncuation related, and words that may be ambiguous - it’s rather straightforward.

I’m rather perplexed though why the Context box uses a yellow ? mark to indicate unfinished words for a Context, while the the Strings box uses a grey ? mark… unless maybe if all the words in the Context need translating then it’s grey? I probably should read the docs. Lol

I think for the heck of it I’m going to try and convert a ts file and use Google Translate… if that works we can have all the languages translated overnight, and even add new ones no problem. It still would be a good thing though to have a person that speaks a given language to check and mark it as OK in Linguist.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing but using DeepL which doesn’t support a lot of languages but I find it more accurate. If you send me a few of the files, I can help on Sunday and evening… Loadshedding allowing.

1 Like

If you want I can zip all the most current trans files and PM them to you?

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll work through them.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you so much! I’ll start next week and let you know when it’s finished.

3 Likes