Odd occurance in Piece Mode

Background: So, I believe I mentioned in a recent thread that I had copied a hand-drafted pattern for sewing a small doll out of felt into Seamly. Between that & other events I decided that maybe I should try to Etsy the pattern. However upon finishing the pattern test, I realized that it needed several corners smoothed out which I had smoothed in cutting, but which it would be tacky to include in a distributed PDF, as well as a few other minor alterations. Of course I forgot to Save As, & hadn’t included a copy in my post on that thread since the question had been about bags.

The Issue: Something relating to the seam allowance is breaking my pattern. My doll has a chip of Reuleaux triangle on her shoulder. If I attempt to export from Piece mode, all that exports is the label. Layout is just weird, the only way to get the pattern piece to print is to check that the seam allowance is built in —which is fine, since it is— but the label refuses to have anything to do with it. Assuming that re-drafting it doesn’t avoid the bug, (I think there’s a good chance something went wrong in the XML, but the result is just so weird,) until this is rectified I’ll just use InkScape to clean it up, which I’ll probably need to do anyway to prettify it.

Stats: Linux. Ubuntu 20 & Devuan chimaera. Built & AppImage from 2023.10.09, as well as several AppImages back to April. Here’s the file: FeltDoll.val (28.8 KB) & here’s a screenshot:

:unicorn:

1 Like

This is such a small pattern, so it’s difficult to find the outlines between all the nodes and labels, so I did the half of the doll in a group, hid it & put all the other nodes into another group called “Other”. Then I created the half pattern piece. This is my result:

I also changed the seam allowance to 0.2". I think you should do the same on the left half and try your pattern again.

This is my result in Inkscape:

Of course, I hid the labels. And the funny squiggle at A28 is probably because I chose the wrong node, which isn’t attached to the curve.

Here’s your pattern back:

FeltDoll.val (37.9 KB)

1 Like

More like where the Main path is starting. I rotated the starting point to A6_a1 and you can see the difference. It’s probably related to that “fuzzy math” thing, where when creating the seam allowance it can’t find an edge and strange things happen. The sharp acute angles at the neck are probably at the cause of the issue. Also there’s a glitch like @Grace mentioned… probably due to the use of a fixed curve with the 2nd and 3rd point as A30 which is missing in the path. Why the use of a fixed curve instead of an interactive spline from A26 to A30 to A27? Actually if you had a point at the ceter top of the head… the whole half of the pattern could have been one long interactive spline. The you could just mirror the curve. :slight_smile:

doll

2 Likes

BTW… this reminds me of the Nintendo game Mega Man… which I programed a knock off in 68000 assembly on the Amiga waaayback when. It was called Glue Man, where you subdued the ememies with globs of glue from your hot glue guns. :slight_smile:

megaman

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LOL, you’re giving away our age.

1 Like

I’m coming around to the idea of using interactive splines here. It’s not like I’m likely to be wanting to resize this pattern anyway.

1 Like

I thought the fact I learned to first program in Fortran using punch cards on an IBM 360 did that. LOL

2 Likes

You could always just scale the print without messing with the pattern.

1 Like

I had the Felt Doll pattern loaded (as the last pattern used) checking out translation updates, and I went to Layout Mode, and the output is even odder than in Piece mode. This is what showed up: I don’t know why the background is gray, and I have no clue what the white box is? Hmmm. It should be noted though that the layout is another whole section of code that more or less duplicates the Piece mode, but uses an additional algorithm to fit the pieces in whatever paper size was selected. Obviously it appears to duplicate the code less. :slight_smile:

layout

2 Likes

The white rectangle should be your “piece of paper.” At least, mine was the approximate ratio of letter paper.

1 Like