Pattern Construction with Müller and son

Hello everybody, when I started to learn pattern Konstruktiion I did it with paper pencil, ruler, I learned the construction system from Müller and son, very famous in Germany. UNfortunately I realized that this construction system is not to be found in the list of Pattern systems.Maybe it will be possible to contact The company and talk with them about conditions etc.

Thx in sdvance

2 Likes

Hello, @H.Naehmann

We have a few people on Seamly who use Muller & Sohn methods. I don’t know why they’re not on the list of pattern making systems - perhaps @slspencer can tell us why.

1 Like

Hi, I was trying to read these books in German and didn’t understand what their three-letter abbreviations meant for each measurement and never finished figuring this out. :frowning:

In order to use a patternmaking system’s formulas, you have to have each of the patternmaking system’s measurements mapped to the Seamly measurement or custom formula using the custom measurement feature in SeamlyMe. Once you have these custom measurements you can use the patternmaking system’s formulas with the patternmaking system’s measurement names.

The patternmaking system templates were intended to be a simple mapping from the patternmaking systems’ measurement names to the Seamly measurement names. I wanted users to easily create a measurement file with all measurements used by a patternmaking system, and use the patternmaking system’s measurement names instead of Seamly measurement names.

4 Likes

Hi @H.Naehmann

Can we meet up and discuss the mapping from Mueller & Sohn to Seamly measurements? I’d love to work with you on this.

FYI - Seamly users can adapt Mueller & Sohn formulas for use in our software, exactly the way that programmers adapt published algorithms into their software. Permission isn’t needed, this meets the ‘fair use’ clause of educational material.

3 Likes

thx for the answer, I was ill the last week therefore my answer is delayed. I would appreciate to communicate with you, I live in Germany, I think a video chat will be fine

2 Likes

Hi @slspencer, I was just on the Website from Muellerund son as i found a very easy solution for

If you go to the website Fashion, Cutting Technique, Workmanship › M.Mueller & Sohn you find in the right top corner DE and EN (red underlinded in my screenshot

if you click ond EN

you will see that not only the website is in english but also all the books magazines and what ever the have.

I hope this will help you

2 Likes

I also use Mueller & Sohn or other older German drafting for menswear) Zuschnitt der Herrenkleidung /Schneidermeister. I ended up being able to draft in German and follow along, mostly because I already knew drafting. I just wish I could read the accompanying text because that is where the real explanations lie.

2 Likes

@Ttailor , good evenig from good old Germany, I can hardly imagine that its only half of the benefit if you csnt read the explanations or advices, thas mostly elementary . When I am in such a situation that I do not understand a text in a foreign language I use google and type the senctense there asking for meaning in germany, ( the other way round in your situatation.

as you can see in my screenshot. Thats pretty simple and if you save your translations in a word or PDF File you get it all sooner or later.

I hope my answer is helpful for you, good luck

3 Likes

Thanks, Yes, I have resorted to typing whole pages into Google translate! It is so helpful!

2 Likes

hey @slspencer & @H.Naehmann, since I’m a German speaking and Müller & Sohn-trained user of Seamly as well, I would offer to also participate in a Müller & Sohn video meet-up, if this is meant as a vantage point to add to Seamly content. I’ve gotten used to working with the SeamlyMe measurement abbreviations and filling the tables up with my Müller & Sohn variables to keep things interchangeable. Also, to construct patterns was a bit of a translation & adaptation process, but I’m curious to learn and help in generalizing for Seamly purposes.

5 Likes

Working on getting the German UI translations updated. @csett86 has cleaned out the obsolete/ vanished ui texts. I suggest if @H.Naehmann wants to update the translations, @crn along with @csett86, you can review the translations to see if they’re acceptable. As a goal it would be nice to have all the texts translated and checked as “finished” (in Linguist).

5 Likes

I’m really excited about a video meet-up!

Do we want to pick a particular Muller & Sohn book or draft, review it, then meet up to discuss how to implement it in Seamly?

I think having an example will be very helpful in guiding our discussion and developing a proper understanding of the method.

2 Likes

Oooh, can I be a fly on the wall at the video meet-up? It does sound exciting.

I wouldn’t mind joining too… mainly just to hear other’s perspective on using the apps. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We could start out discussing the basic block for a skirt, which is what all of us probably started out with when training/studying :wink:

3 Likes

Auch ich bin mit Müller und Sohn groß (und alt) geworden. Habe aber irgendwann auf Hofenbitzer vom Europaverlag umgeschwenkt, weil der in meinen Augen eine klarere Sprache spricht. Die Rundschau von Müller und Sohn beziehe ich aber seid 1989 und bin nach wie vor sehr an deren Schnittkonstruktionen interessiert. Mich würde auch ein Austausch mit anderen interessieren wie man dieses Wissen in seamly bündeln könnte.

4 Likes

Müller und Sohn is my preferred drafting method (and what I use for all my patterns). The fit of their menswear blocks is perfect first time (for me at least). I have many of their books (digital) and would be really interested to see if these were incorporated in Seamly as there are a couple of techniques/manoeuvres that I can easily perform on paper that I am struggling to replicate in Seamly…although I am a total newbie to digital pattern cutting so it’s probably just me :rofl:

4 Likes

Putting the “Pattern Making System” preference aside if you’ve come across that yet - it was meant to automatically create a measurement file with the needed measurements for the selected PMS, but doesn’t… Seamly2D is pretty much agnostic, and does not incorporate any given system. You more or less have to figure out which drawing tools to use to accomplish what ever the pattern system requires. And yes, sometimes it’s easy to just draw something on paper, but Seamly2D doesn’t quite work that way due to the parametric nature of the app. It also doesn’t have tools like a tailors square, french curves etc so there’s that. It sometimes takes several tools to establish a point / line, based on previous tools. I found it helped to brush up on my Geometry. :slight_smile:

If you find yourself stuck, don’t hestiate to ask for help on how to accomplish an instruction in the books. We’ve all been there at one time or another. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello everyone, I am not sure if I could be helpful but I have the Fundamentals Menswear by Müller & Son (2020 edition) in English in PDF form.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome to the Seamly2D forum, @alexnb.

:slightly_smiling_face: Very nice! If you have any questions while converting the instructions onto Seamly2D, please don’t hesitate to ask.

1 Like