I’m having a weird issue with a specific pattern which seems to be bogging down the application. There is no issue with any of my other patterns I’ve tried. I’ve looked in the code of this pattern but I can’t see anything that immediately jumps out to me, however I’m not a great coder. This is certainly not even my biggest or most detailed pattern so I don’t think its the size that’s the issue. Basically when I load this pattern it takes 30-60 seconds for any changes to be made. The application greys out and says (not responding) at the top. Again, it’s only this particular pattern.
Could someone take a look and see what the deal is? I’m right in the middle of developing this style and I’m needing to make some adjustments. Thanks!
(p.s. I wasn’t sure if this belongs in bugs or patterns. sorry if it’s in the wrong spot.)
EDIT: realized you probably need the measurement file too. Attached.
Shirt Measurements.vst (1.3 KB)
Long Sleeve Shirt New.val (85.1 KB)
This happened a while back with someone else. I need to search the forum to see what the problem was. I have an idea it was something with one of the pattern pieces. Just FYI, your pattern took ages to open for me, too.
Using my laptop with Windows 11, 64 bit. Ryzen 7 4700U 2.0GHz, 16GB ram.
Ok, thanks. Good to know it isn’t just my computer being weird.
I see something ‘funny’ on the wrist of the sleeve pattern piece. When I get the file open, I’ll check it out. Let’s hold thumbs.
I’m still searching the other topic while I wait.
Your previous comment got me thinking about pattern pieces. I deleted all the patterns in the “Piece” window and the slowness is gone. Thanks!
Now to systematically delete and see which one is the culprit…
Here’s the topic: File is slow when working on it - #5 by carocas
It was a case of switch 2 nodes around.
I’m looking at the wrist edge that looks like where the 2 nodes are switched.
Glad you’re able to help… I can’t even get the pattern to open. Oh wait… it just loaded after about 5 mins.
Ok. That’s pretty much what I’m running. The reason I asked, is that there is an issue with the curve control points - which I was working on fixing befire I broke my hip last month - and it seems to affect the Mac Os more than linux or Windows.
Just a note: If you find a pattern running slow, and you have a lot of curves… hiding the control points may solve the issue for now.
Ok, I’ve managed to delete just the sleeve and now it’s running normally again. I had a look at the order of the nodes & didn’t see anything out of order. I’m just going to undelete the piece and check if you didn’t select B26 as the start and the end node.
Yes I can see in the sleeve hem, a node is out of order… the path is back tracking. I’ll have to put this on the To Do list… see if there’s a way to avoid this, or at least figure out why the app is getting stuck in some loop while parsing a piece with nides oyt of order.
I’ve deleted the piece and all is running fine. I wonder if I accidentally moved the nodes around while working on seam allowances or notches. Either way, thank you both so much for your help. Crisis averted!
I can see a straight line between B26 and B17 that looks to be back tracking. Problem is it’s taking forever for the Piece Tool dialig to open.
Ok, @skinnerjeans. You’re very welcome and I’m glad we could help you & save most of your pattern pieces. I suggest that you drag the node labels out a bit longer so that one can clearly see the connecting line to the node. I’m wondering if B17 & 18 haven’t been switched around. (no this isn’t the case but strangely, when I switched them, the program sped up but the notches are still out of sinq). Because B26 is only at the end of the list of objects making up the path.
I dragged them out more. The only thing I see that’s odd is that B15 isn’t acutally along the curve, it’s on the line between B8 and B10. I had that as a notch along the wrist curve so maybe that threw things off?
Aaaahhh… yes, that will be it. I suggest that you create a node on the curve (call it B15a), insert it and position it at the correct place, delete the B15 & see if it speads up your pattern.
Perhaps the other 3 nodes are also on the line? If so, you’ll need to do all of them.
Ahh. That would do it.
BTW… not that it’s anything to do with this issue, as the app probably reversed the curve automatically. When it’s clear which direction a curve should be drafted, you should do so. So the curve should go clockwise B27 to B26. There’s a bit more overhead having to deal with curves that are reversed.
It looks like it’s just B15 that wasn’t on the curve. The draft instructions had me mark the sleeve placket slit before adding in the curve for a better sleeve transition, and I just missed the part where I’d need to mark the placket slit on the new curve. To be fair, this is from an old tailoring manual so they were expecting me to be using paper and not an awesome pattern drafting software!
I know better than that but I often forget in the heat of the moment when it’s 2am and I’m just trying to get this pattern submitted to the print shop before I go to bed
Long Sleeve Shirt New.val (86.3 KB)
All of them are not on the curve. Here I’ve done the necessary and the pattern is working perfectly and the notches are on the stitch & cut lines.
I’m really glad that this was solved.