Pin hole at dart point

Hello, Is there a way to add a pin hole for a pattern in this software at dart point to mark the end of dart like they do in commercial production ?

2 Likes

We haven’t implimented symbols yet… but what you can do is fake one by adding an internal path of a smalle circle placed as the dart point. It will only be a circle, and not a solid dot.

3 Likes

Thanks you Douglas. Is there a possibility to use anchor point as pin hole? And how would nodes and notches apper in svg/dfx format for use in laser cutting machine ?

1 Like

No. Anchor points have no display, and are only used as a reference points for labels and grainlines.

Notches should appear as part of the cut path. You can though set the notch color so as to seperate it from the cutline color. I could add an option to toggle the notches on / off like the grainlines and labels - which are other objects you would not want to cut. If you have a laser cutter, I’d be interested in feedback. I don’t have access to one, so I can’t test anything.

4 Likes

Sure, that would be great. I’ll cut a few fabric under different setting and share the outcome. Thank you so much for the support.

3 Likes

@Shruthisr198 for laser cutting, i usually add 2x2mm punch holes manually when i prep the exported svg pattern for laser cutting.

2 Likes

@Douglas when i laser cut an exported pattern in svg format, the outer shape and notches show up as 2 different layers. that means the laser will cut the notches first, then cut the outer shape (as that makes the most sense laser-wise. For punch holes, I add a third layer with 2x2mm punchholes in my graphic software. when i import in lightburn to laser, the order is: punchholes, notches, outer shape.

i like your idea of adding punchholes as a) a toggle object. sounds fun, but it might not place precisely where it should on the pattern. unless you can lock it to the dart points in the pattern piece options, adding option to place at 15mm above/beyond/radius of the dart end. I could also like punchholes as b) internal paths, because then you could already specify it in the original pattern. I am aware though that this is impossible since 1 point does not suffice for a path.

heres a shirt i lasered some days ago, it’s a super nice way to cut your fabrics: shirt_crn

4 Likes

Thank you very much, @crn. This is super interesting to me because I love anything tecnology and I’ve never worked with a lazor. My total experience is doing scrapbooking with a Silhouette Cameo :slight_smile: which has been an ornament since I discovered Seamly.

1 Like

Well… once I can get back to adding symbols, one of the symbols would be a drill hole, which would export to dxf as such. The symbols would pretty much be like adding anchor points, but with the addition of a graphical representation. So you could add dots, squares, zippers, buttons, snaps, Gather here, On Fold, Etc…

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the insight. I have a doubt how do you define foldline where the laser doesn’t cut in seamly2d? Or should it be done in seperate software. While drafting pattern i have placed the foldline to left in properties , so is that recognised when i export file as dfx

2 Likes

I avoid foldlines and mirror to „full“ pattern pieces. Also, since I work the laser myself, I leave out labels, etc., as I would have to reassign non-cutting properties to this information in the laser settings. I then export the pattern, as further editing makes more sense in either a vector graphic software or in the laser software itself: I usually aim for a wysiwyg set of all pieces to be cut, and then the pattern is ready to :fire:

3 Likes

Ha, I also love me some cutting on the plotter! I don’t mind whether my fabric is cut by :fire: or :hocho: as long as I don’t have to do it by hand :laughing: :laughing:

If you export to svg and import to the cameo software, you should actually be able to send a seamly pattern to the cameo, size permitting…!

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve used Seamly to design some cupcake boxes which I cut on the Cameo. It worked really well. But I need to invest in the cutting mat for fabric and then one is confined to about 13" width which is a pain, so scissors are the way to go here :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yes, you’re right, the width is a bit of a hurdle…

2 Likes

Hello all, I tried cutting with laser using seamly patterns . So results are very precise. Notches are cut first then the cut line is cut. And stitching becomes very easy because of notches. The only problem i found is that the pattern piece has cut line along foldline. So we have to detele the line in other vector software which is a bit cumbersome. And foldlines are definitely needed to accommodate full circle skirts in the laser cutter. So my humble request for the developers is to develop an option to delete the cut line along one side where fabric needs to be folded. Hope i make sense. Thank you :blush:

2 Likes

Not sure how. There really is no “fold line”… it’s just a straight section of the path designated as a fold. Also the main path has to be closed or the whole seam allowance routines fall apart. Without being closed there is no way to detect what is “inside” and what is “outside” the path, and no way to determine where to add seam allowance.

It would have to be something done after the fact… export, then delete the fold line, just as you have already outlined.

Or… only other option I can think of is to be able to make it so one could designate a fold line section a different color, one that doesn’t get cut.

3 Likes

Yes yes. Different colour works … as we can assign as non cut line. It would be great to have this feature.

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with anything related to CNC, but would it work to assign the fold a seam allowance, & tell the machine that the seam allowance sticks beyond the fold in the fabric?

:unicorn:

2 Likes

I was thinking along the same line… if I had to cut something on the fold, that’s what I would have done… make sure the fold cut line is off the fold of the fabric. It would be a bit tricky to line up the fabric to the start point of the cut, but it can be done. There may be a slight margin of error, but then anytime you cut on the fold there always is… especially when you start to stack up multiple cuts as you’ll never get the folds to line up exactly. Ideally you’d want to just cut the piece open, but that all depends on the width of the cutter and piece to be cut.

3 Likes

I tried doing this way but then you have to add that extra width at the other end of the pattern piece by adding extra allowance, and aligning in the laser cutter is tricky. But can be done. For now easier method is to remove the line in vector software

1 Like