N00b floundering in Tutorial

Hello everyone,

I’m having some issues following tutorial page @ https://wiki.seamly.io/wiki/UserManual:StartToFinish

There were a couple of small errors in the early parts of the tutorial, these were posted in Documentation category @ Wiki 'error' in tutorial procedure?.

Having proceeded further into this document, I have reached the stage of simply doing ‘Monkey See, Monkey Do’ execution of the instructions which, for me, have lost all connection to ‘Real World’ application and without any meaning for those steps as they relate to a pattern for some garment.

Again, this is simply my experience, or profound lack thereof, and not a condemnation of the tutorial in toto.

Having now totally lost my way and any learning effect, I would appreciate some assistance in reorienting myself.

I have reached the area where groups are to be created and assigning ‘points’ (nodes?) to the different groups. At the ‘curve tweaking’ ( Mirror Object by Line) paragraph, my brain experienced a BSOD, and I’m now going down for the third time.

Brgds,

David D.

PS: In the meantime I will be studying the application manual for details of the Mirror Tool functionality, and any others that may seem relevant in the Tutorial.

PPS: I also think that some of my confusion / irritation stems from the fact that, considering my lack of experience in the pattern drawing field, and the possibility of me now following faulty instructions to create an object - without even truly understanding the purpose behind the individual steps - without said understanding of the procedure. To my defence, I have had some experience (and success) in drafting to paper patterns and directly to cloth, so I do seem to have some basics in my arsenal!

1 Like

I’m so sorry that you’re experiencing so many problems. I’ll see if I can do the tutorial over the coming weekend. More snow is forecast, so I’m guessing I’ll be house-bound, again.

The methods of drafting by hand are pretty much the same as drafting on Seamly, except that you use the tools instead of different types of rulers and pencils. I suggest that you draw a few points and lines on a new pattern file and use each tool in all of the toolboxes so that you have a ‘working’ idea of how to use each tool. Here is a PDF that @Pneumarian created last year on how to use the tools:

Seamly Manual.pdf (211.4 KB)

Then you may head over to my blog & do the (very old - 2020, so somethings have changed since then) tutorial that I did using the Burgo method. It’s the woman’s basic bodice, but it may teach you a bit and there are accompanying videos on Youtube, that deliberately have no sound.

There’s also a very nice introductory PDF that @peterh wrote, only last year, that you can download here.

I hope some of these can help you.

Edit: I just remembered that I did a bit of a tutorial on the Mirror tool in this topic that may also help you.

1 Like

Hi David,

I’ll try to update the tutorial in the next days. Nonetheless the tutorial is ment as a guide how to use Seamly2D not so for explaining why to use which numbers in the pattern. Each pattern has it’s own logic or rules, but the technique how to use Seamly2D for creation is often the same.

Many thanks for your valuable input.

@Grace Do you know if there is a possibility to host a video chat via our forum? I think sometimes it could help to speak to each other…

2 Likes

I do have Zoom, so if you let me know, I’ll be happy to host a chat with whoever would like to attend.

We just need to select a date & time & send interested parties the link.

2 Likes

Hi @Grace

Me! , Me! Me! , Me! Me! , Me! Me! , Me! Me! , Me! Me! , Me! Me! , Me! Me! , Me!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though, I would be absolutely over the moon if I could get some personal (face to face) insights! I would make time at your pleasure

2 Likes

Anyone wanting to join in an English Question & Answer session on Zoom on Friday evening at 7pm CAT, please send me a private message so that I can send you the login details in private.

Thank you.

3 Likes